Aftermarket (old) Radio Wiring

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Aftermarket (old) Radio Wiring

Post by Joe Kriston »

Years ago I had one of those old Ford Falcon vans that had an aftermarket Allstate FM radio mounted under the dash..When I sold the van,I kept the radio for whatever reason....I guess I thought it was old and cool looking...Anyway,I want to mount it under the dash of my truck so I can get some nice,tinny sounding,in-and-out fading, rock and hillbilly music,sans the reverb....It already has a fused wire that connects to power,two antenna leads,one marked "to AM radio" and the other marked "to antenna"...and then there's a connector marked "multiplex output"....Anybody know what that one gets connected to?
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Aftermarket (old) Radio Wiring

Post by 68F250 »

Boy that must be old! Some of the older FM mono radios used to have a multiplex output to connect to a separate stereo decoder/demodulator. It's a buffered output right from the receiver's FM detector and contains all the baseband modulation information. You won't be connecting that to anything!

It's sort of like buying a HD ready TV and then having to buy the separate HDTV tuner.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Aftermarket (old) Radio Wiring

Post by Joe Kriston »

Thanks,Barry...I at least did grasp the part about not plugging it into anything...So,I guess you're telling me to forget about getting digital surround sound out of it...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!