christmas. . .

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

umpalumpa1985

christmas. . .

Post by umpalumpa1985 »

Although it's kinda far away right now, my wife has mentioned getting me a nice complete toolkit for christmas. We would be comfortable with 250 dollars or less (stupid military paycheck. . .). Got any good suggestion, guys?

Thanks,
Sgt Cavin
It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
~ Rami Belson
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: christmas. . .

Post by kaptnkaos »

I've never really been a brand name tool kinda guy... my tool set is a hodge podge of various names. I even have a few that don't have any names on them other than "Made in Japan or China"
I have added better American made ones along the way, but certainly didn't start out that way.
The one thing to make sure is that what you do buy has a lifetime warrenty...
TheeMc and my bumpless younger brother got me a Master Mechanic 3/8 drive SAE/Metric socket set back in 1979 when he worked at Ace Hardware. (this Christmas it will be 30 years old).
A few years ago I had the rachet go bad on me... I went to the local Ace Hardware and they replaced the rachet on the spot no questions asked...
That old socket set is the most used tool I own...
The 3 things I would not scrimp on would be a good 3/8 drive 6 point socket set, a good set of combination wrenches and a good set set of screw drivers. After that I would add a good 1/2 inch drive socket set and a pass through ratchet socket set (Harbor Freight has them for about $25...
Lowes has them to. That one set replaces alot of tools ... If I had to chose between a pass through set and a standard set I'd be inclined to go with the pass through set.
Do your homework and shop wisely you can put together a pretty good working set of tools for that...
Then give yer wife a huge hug she deserves it... You might wanna do that first... :D

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hotrod ford »

I have found alot of my tools pawn shops and flee markets. These would be wrenches and screw drivers and things like that. Now for your power tools i get craftsman. Lifetime gaurentee on them where ever you get them. I notice you said military, Since being stationed at Ft Hood I go to the px to get tools also. That is where I got a roll away at. Very nice price for a three piece one. Might want to check it out. Merry Christmas to ya :thup:
1971 Sport Custom SWB: 360/C6 3.00
1965 Ford Falcon 4Dr: Inline 170 3sp
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

you can also find lots of used sockets and wrenches on ebay and at local places like garage sales as well as what was already mentioned. 250 should get you a basic set of good tools. socket sets and wrenches. you will want combination wrenches for sure. some vise grips a couple of good pliers some good screwdrivers a real excellent flashlight. i have yet to find on myself. as far as brands. i will leave that up to you. chinese or american. american will last longer than chinese. if you go with american there is mac snap on crapsman sk bkackhawk thorenson. but soem of this stuff is also made in china so watch what you buy. lifetime guarntees are great. watch out for tool companies who want you to keep the reciept. i lost mine and now those sockets are junk. unless you do what i am planning on doing. buy another just like it and return the broken one. then you have two just keep the second reciept.
umpalumpa1985

Post by umpalumpa1985 »

Thanks for the information, gentleman. I gave my wife a huge hug just for mentioning it, by the way :D
I have checked the px quite frequently over the past five years or so, and i must say that the one in ft hood must have a much better selection than the one out here (29 palms, ca). I do have an okay selection of tools, but i guess the biggest thing is i don't have so much as a set of anything. Everything is kinda just put into the toolbox on my truck's bed. A lot of them are from yard sales and things of that nature. In any case, thanks for the input, and for being friendly. :thup:
:fr:
It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
~ Rami Belson
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

isnt 29 palms similar to beverly hills? i wouldnt think beverly hills would even have a panw shop. but who am i to say for sure on that. may they arent called pawn shops in beverly hills.
umpalumpa1985

Post by umpalumpa1985 »

HA HA HA ! Beverly Hills ! As any Jarhead will tell you, 29 Palms ismost definitely not beverly hills. it is in fact about 3 hours inland from LA, right in the middle of the mojave desert. nothing here but meth labs, barbers, bars, and tattoo parlors. and some pawn shops. :D
~ Rami Belson
wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

I agree with kaptnkaos on ACE tools. I've got a "suitcase" set I've had for about 15 years and usually when I reach for a tool it's an ACE. I will say the BEST 3/8" drive wratchet I ever owned was a J.C. Penney brand.
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

Craftsmen professional series are quite good. My co worker has a number of the wrenches, I have compared a few to my Snap-on of the same sizes, the over all dimension are very close. The Craftsmen Pro even has Flank Drive (tm) on the box end.
When Craftsmen tools sets are on sale you just can't beat the value, American made hand tools, life time warranty, and they'll do the job.
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_ ... anic+Tools link is a sample, Snap=on would be @ 2x that much.

This would be a nice Christmas http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_ ... anic+Tools
Enjoy
Thanks for Serving
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)