por-15

Moderator: FORDification

1968_ONEHUN

por-15

Post by 1968_ONEHUN »

what is this stuff?Never heard of it,or if it's available in canada even.
1968 F-100 Custom Cab
300 6cyl 4spd

If it ain't broke,what the hell, fix it anyways !
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: por-15

Post by jor »

It's very high quality paint-sealer-rust inhibitor stuff that is used on frames, engine compartments and so on. I put it on an area that had had a lot of rust before I sealed it up with a patch panel. It is toxic and almost impossible to get off your hands, I might add. It's also quite expensive. Go to their website and you can read all about it. They have a couple of competitors and there are lots of spirited discussions on which is the better product. Good luck.
jor
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

POR-15 is supposed to actually fuse itself to the rust, and become an almost impenetrable barrier. I bought several quarts directly through their website for use on my project. Go to the HotRodders.com forums and do a search for POR-15...it's been discussed at length there many times, and gets rave reviews from everyone. As jor mentioned, there are several competitors who have come out with similar products which are as good. It's expensive ($100/gallon) but from all info, it sounds worth it. As I get farther along on my project, I intend to coat the entire inner and outer floorpans, lower firewall and inner fenderwells with this, as well as the entire underside of the box. As long as the metal preparation is followed precisely to their instructions, it should be the last time you ever have to worry about rust in the areas coated.

Here are some more links to do some reading on related coatings:

- Eastwood Rust Encapsulator
- Rust Bullet
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
crazy larry

Post by crazy larry »

I used por on my engine and engine bay, not too pleased with the results. it has been cooked off the heads by engine heat and off the firewall by brake fluid. and I did follow the instructions. I'd spend my money on something else next time.
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

What kind of prep work did you do to the firewall? Did you use the Marine Clean to rid the metal of contaminants and then MetalReady on the cleaned surface? I've never heard of brake fluid touching this stuff before. The metal has to be completely oil/grease-free. How many coats did you put on?

As for the engine, they've got actual engine enamel paint meant for the engine...I'm not sure if the standard POR-15 was meant for the high heat of the engine.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
crazy larry

Post by crazy larry »

i USED A WIRE WHEEL FOR THE INITIAL CLEANING, THEN THe(sorry for yelling!!) Marine clean, with a 3m pad x3, then the metal ready. two coats of por on the firewall.....
I spilled some brake fluid on it, washed it off as soon as i could, (with MEK, maybe that was my problem?) (less than ten minutes of contact) and the next morning, i noticed the por was lifting at the bottom of the panel. the m/c side is the only place i've had problems with in the engine bay.

the motor; instructions call for the marine clean and metal ready prep, then 1 coat of regular por then the engine enamel. thats what i did. the only problems motor wise are around the exhaust ports. the por has lifted there...... I don't understand why you'd need to put one coat of regular POR on, then cover that with the engine POR.????? why couldn't I have just used the regular por....????
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes
bumt72

Post by bumt72 »

I am going to be using Chassis Saver on my daughters truck when it comes to that time. Mainly because of the cost ($75/gal) and the fact I haven't read anything bad about it. http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp

On a related note, tried PickleX when I was working on my dash panel and it wasn't a magic rust remover, removing the rust required it and steel wool. I am hoping though it's rust retarding claims are valid. Also has anyone tried this product?
http://www.safestrustremover.com/

I am thinking about getting some just to see how it works.
Kep

1972 F250 Da Big Ugly Man TruckDa BUMT
1961 F100 Stepside (Father/Daughter Project)UnNamed
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: re: por-15

Post by FORDification »

crazy larry wrote:I don't understand why you'd need to put one coat of regular POR on, then cover that with the engine POR.????? why couldn't I have just used the regular por....????
You probably could have, but the finish woudn't have been the greatest and would have eventually faded and turned semi-chalky (from what I understand). The engine enamel is more of the rich color coat they figure most people are after.

I've also heard good things about ZeroRust, but I haven't even heard of the other two mentioned here. It'll be interesting to see how they stack up to the competition.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
bumt72

Post by bumt72 »

Has anyone tried Electrolytic Rust Removal before for their smaller parts? I have a sand blaster but must borrow the industrial strength air compressor from a neighbor, this seems like a good alternative for some of the smaller parts.

http://www.bhi.co.uk/hints/rust.htm

Kep
Kep

1972 F250 Da Big Ugly Man TruckDa BUMT
1961 F100 Stepside (Father/Daughter Project)UnNamed