Trouble with vibration....

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Mikey

Trouble with vibration....

Post by Mikey »

I'm having trouble with vibration with my "new" 70 truck with a 302 three-speed. I did a compression check; all checked out at 120 - 130. Retimed the engine and re-gapped the points. I checked firing order and put an induction light on each wire and revved to check if the plugs were firing. All is good. The vibration occurs in neutral and feels like an out-of-balance situation though all rpm range. I'm thinking a bad plug wire or bad flywheel....maybe even the wrong flywheel. I took the belt off to eliminate the alternator and water pump but still there. Idle feels great but very slight vibration.

Any ideas????
Thanks,
Mikey
1968 Mercury Cougar
1974 Ford Bronco
1986 Mercury Capri 5.0L
1989 Ford Mustang GT
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Trouble with vibration....

Post by GT-Racer »

what year is the 302? Might check to see if you have the right flywheel. Some were 50 ounce balance and some were 28 ounce. May be a bad motor mount? Just guesses here though.
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

It's a stone stock 1970.

I was wondering about motor mounts but it shakes on steady revving.

Guess I'll try again next weekend....
Thanks,
Mikey
1968 Mercury Cougar
1974 Ford Bronco
1986 Mercury Capri 5.0L
1989 Ford Mustang GT
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I agree. My first thought was bad motor mounts, also.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Docholiday72tx

Post by Docholiday72tx »

A vacume leak may also cause the motor to run rough and vibrate. Spray something like WD40 around the intake and carberator. If the vibration stops, you found the leak.
Also check your vacume lines and make sure their up to speed.
Double check idle speed, wires and plugs.
Check out all the little things before trying to replace a fly wheel.
If it ends up being a motor mount follow Rjewke's advice and go ahead and replace both sides.
Doc
If it ain't broke....oh wait a minute....it is.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

:yt: See thats why there is more than just one person on this site. I completely forgot about vacuum/intake leaks and plugs and what not. Thanks Doc And Flyboy.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
Docholiday72tx

Post by Docholiday72tx »

:D I've been there...and that's why I'm here. LOL.
It makes my day if I can help another old truck lover.
Doc :)

I just remembered something....I had a 302 several years ago that had a bad vibration. I searched for days to find the root of this evil.
I finnaly located a huge vacume leak....It was the rubber diaphram inside the vacume advance on the distributor. So if spraying something around the intake and carberator doesn't find a leak, try this.
Un hook the vacume line that goes to the vacume advance, and hold your thumb over the hose. If the engine levels off you have located the culprit....If not...look some where else.
D.
If it ain't broke....oh wait a minute....it is.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hey, do you guys think it could be the timing chain skipped a tooth? It's supposed to be the original chain with over 200k miles?
1968 Mercury Cougar
1974 Ford Bronco
1986 Mercury Capri 5.0L
1989 Ford Mustang GT
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Oh....engine seems to be held in pretty good by the mounts. You feel the vibration more than see it. It is in the engine, though. It feels exactly like someone swapped a couple of plug wires.
1968 Mercury Cougar
1974 Ford Bronco
1986 Mercury Capri 5.0L
1989 Ford Mustang GT
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

probably so. the 302,351C/351W,360,390 AFAIK wire as follows 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. Counter clockwise. Not sure but you may allready know it. And if you didn't you do now.

--Back
4------8
3------7
2------6
1------5
--front
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Are you getting a lot of static on your AM radio?
If so you may have a cracked distributor cap. It could also cause misfiring.
Check that and your timing.
Good luck.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I checked the firing order already. All OK. I checked the vacuum diaphram...both of them...all OK. I changed out the plug wires with an old set I had, no change. I checked timing. No radio so can't check that. I have a couple of old spare caps so I can try that.

Is there any easy way to check the flywheel? Any inspection plates?

Anyone think my timing chain jumped a tooth?
1968 Mercury Cougar
1974 Ford Bronco
1986 Mercury Capri 5.0L
1989 Ford Mustang GT
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I doubt it's your timing chain....if it jumped a tooth it would be a lot worse than a slight vibration. If it ran at all it would be VERY rough. However, if the chain and sprocket are both worn, and with 200K+ it's very probable, it could conceiveably cause a constant timing variation as the chain tightens up and loosens again. You said the vibration occurs at all RPMs, but does it seem to remain fairly constant or is it slightly intermittent?

What transmission do you have? It's a manual, correct? How does it shift? Do you have any problems getting it into or out of gear? Depending on the transmission, there should be an tin access cover on the lower front. I'd check the condition of the flywheel, make sure it's tight and not warped.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Shifting is a problem. It seems to not transfer power and feel like it's slipping. Then, you can smell burnt asbestos. This problem is intermittent.

I did check the timing and watched the mark carefully...the mark is very steady. Granted...the chain will have to be changed but I must at least find the vibration or there is a good chance I'd give the truck back and he would take it to the junk yard. If I can isolate the problem and evaluate the time and $$ to fix, then I can probably convince my wife that it's OK to have eight cars between the two of us!

Vibration is pretty severe and constant throughout all the rpm range. The engine itself, if you look at it, doesn't move much but when you sit in the cab, it vibrates pretty bad. Feel just like two plug wires are reversed.

Will the transmission need to be removed to diagnose a flywheel?

Thanks everyone for your help.!!!!
Mikey
1968 Mercury Cougar
1974 Ford Bronco
1986 Mercury Capri 5.0L
1989 Ford Mustang GT
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Well, that depends on what you find when you remove the inspection cover. I know I'm grasping at straws here, but the reason I was asking you about how it shifted was that I was thinking if the flywheel was loose or slightly warped, it would cause that vibration, and would cause clutch engagement problems. How does the clutch pedal feel when releasing it? Any pulsing sensations?
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!