Edelbrock tuning question

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

56 Aero

Edelbrock tuning question

Post by 56 Aero »

I've got a 1406 on my 302 that is running rich. When I floor the truck (wot) I'm getting black smoke, also collecting on the exhaust tips, and the power out put seems low too. I bought this carb from a friend, long story short, he put it on his 67 Mustang it would not work right, he bought another carb and his car still wasn't fixed. So he sold to me for $50 with less than 50 miles on it. So back to the question is this rich condition a jetting, metering rod, or just a screw turn away from getting fixed. I don't have any paper work and I always let carb issues kick my butt. Any ideas or helpful hints, Thanks guys..............Rick
Joshpow
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Edelbrock tuning question

Post by Joshpow »

Just my opinion here, but I don't like the performance of an Edelbrock carb. I got one on my 72 with a 302. It has similar issues. I don't know the cure, but I know it is outside adjusting screws. I plan to go back to a Holley. My guess would be metering rods. I don't think Edelbrock uses different jets. I think the metering rods take their place by adjusting the fuel flow from the jets. I am not 100% sure on this though. I haven't researched enough to be positive. Hope this helps some.
Josh

72 F-100 Ranger XLT SWB
71 F-100 Custom SWB
67 F-350 Dually Dump
02 F-250 Stroke
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2972100
FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

Here ya go http://www.youtube.com/user/64nva

Use the 2 tune vids.

If you don't have the manual for yours, check their site and get it first so you can determine what metering rods you need.

Hope that helps (it's actually pretty easy to reset an edelbrock).

Also, you can go by his install vids and make sure you have things hooked up where they need to be, or it's in the manual as well.

I don't think his vids covered swapping the accelerator pump ratio, but after ya get it tuned you can easily if needed. (This is in the manual) If it's dumping too much on acceleration, move to a closer in hole on the pump lever or vice versa.

BTW the outside adjusting screws are your "idle mix" they need to be right (again easy) but they aren't where you need to go for too much fuel. Get them close, get your metering right, THEN dial the screws in per instructions.
Darlin 69 Ranger 390 4v, PS, DS II, disc front, 3G alternator, 67 mirror.
67fordkc

Post by 67fordkc »

Go to edelbrock.com and download the installation manual for the 1406. I have a 1405 which is jetted 2% richer than the 1406. I had to lean my carb by using both the jets and metering rods. The instruction manuals explains in detail how to do it. You may want to invest in a air/fuel ratio monitor to make the adjustments. I have been told that the edelbrocks run rich out of the box. Hope this helps.......
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

get a holley :thup: :thup:
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
TNIceWolf
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TNIceWolf »

In my opinion.....and its just an opinion..........any off the shelf universal replacement carb is going to need some tuning to work it best on any given engine..........nothing..edelbrock or holly fits and works just right out of the box............they have a basic broad range setting and thats it.
Find 'em....Buy 'em....Fix 'em.....Drive 'em....Love 'em

HHC 4/67AR.... Bandits.....88-92

Presently in the stable
1969 Ford F-350 DRW
1989 Chevy S-10 Tahoe ( It gets me to work and back and fetches parts and groceries)
1981 Buick Regal ( My deceased uncles last project/driver....renamed project Regal Eagle to be finished in his honor)
1990 Ford F-150 ( Miss Yvonnes Daily Driver )
My F-350 project http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=41744