Fuel Tank/Tool Box Ventilation

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Big Blue 72

Fuel Tank/Tool Box Ventilation

Post by Big Blue 72 »

I installed one of those diamond plate 60 gallon fuel tank/tool box combinations in the bed of my truck. It sits between the rails so I can still put the canopy on my truck if needed. It has a vent tube on the left side of the tank. I've got a question. Anyone know if gas fumes are heavier or lighter than air? Should I run the vent tube down through the bed floor to vent beneath the truck or is it better to find a way to run the tube up to vent out the top. If up is the way to go I'm game for ideas where to put the vent tube if I have the canopy on the truck.

I apparently didn't think this through good enough when I bought the fuel tank. Now I'm wondering how to fill the tank when the canopy is on. Getting the fuel hose in the canopy isn't the problem. The accumulation of fumes within the canopy is. One good static spark and I'd be front page news, my local gas station would get the remodel job they desperately want, and my family would be deciding if they should buy the solid wood casket or aluminum...if there'd be anything let to put in it. Hell.....casket shmasket. It'd likely be instant cremation.

Anyway, in all seriousness, anyone dealt with this issue? I'd like to know the best way to vent the tank.
sgs

Re: Fuel Tank/Tool Box Ventilation

Post by sgs »

I don't see the issue if the fuel filler is outside the canopy. You can vent through the cap. there should be no fuel spillage if your fill tube is outside. It should be no more risk than having a fuel tank behind the seat.

sgs
sgs

Post by sgs »

I just re read your post. I missed a part but that part might be the solution. Can you get the fuel filler outside of the canopy permanently? Gasoline vapors are heavier than air.

sgs
taylor351
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by taylor351 »

Gas fumes are heavier than air. Vent them out of the bottom if you can.

Keith
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab 4.7 liter Daily Driver
1993 f150 351 4x4
1969 f100 Ranger daily driver wantabe
1972 classic c10
Proudly serving Christ since 2000
God bless our troops
A bitter rural American clinging to my guns and my religion.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

taylor351 wrote:Gas fumes are heavier than air. Vent them out of the bottom if you can.

Keith
That's how the factory did it. The charcoal canister on these trucks is mounted down on the frame rail and acts as the tank vent.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Big Blue 72

Post by Big Blue 72 »

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'll vent it down through the bed of the truck.

Last question.

Charcoal cannister?? :? I don't recall ever seeing one. Is it needed? What is it? What does it look like? What does it do?
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Big Blue 72 wrote: Charcoal cannister?? :? I don't recall ever seeing one. Is it needed? What is it? What does it look like? What does it do?
I assume your truck is a 1972?

There is a hose that exits the passenger side of the tank and through the cab floor in the same manner as the fuel hose on the driver side. It has another hose running forward in the same manner as the fuel hose, on the other end of it mounted to the inside of the right frame rail between the engine crossmember and bumper you will find a can, it looks approximately like one of those tubs of fake butter made of metal. That is the charcol canister.

Its purpose is to absorb vented vapors (hydrocarbons) from the fuel tamk vent.

Hope this helps.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Big Blue 72

Post by Big Blue 72 »

Sure does, but for the life of me I don't recall ever seeing it.

Yes, I have a 72. If the weather dries out I'm gonna look under there and see if it's there. Thanks!