carburating an efi engine

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

carburating an efi engine

Post by ezernut9mm »

is this a straight forward deal? specifically on a 80's or 90's 5.0?
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: carburating an efi engine

Post by averagef250 »

Pretty simple. Just no fuel pump on the efi motors and the serpentine accesories don't interchange with V belt stuff. Serp stuff works fine with a carb though.

If you're shopping, the truck EFI 302's seam to have more oomph when you just drop a 4V intake and carb on them. The car standard and HO motors seam less powerful, but that's just my experience.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

don't the waterpumps run the opposite way? since this is a man steering and man brake truck i could just get a different water pump and run a v belt. and use an electric inline fuel pump correct?
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

what you gonna do with the efi stuff?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
Happy_Camper
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Happy_Camper »

You will also need to change the distributor, as the EFI distributor is controlled via the computer. A replacement distributor will require a steel gear (not a cast iron gear) due to the roller cam. Or you can run a spark controller, like MSD, mallory, Jacobs, etc with the EFI distributor.
Water pump does run reverse rotation for the serpentine setup, and the coolant intake is on the drivers side.
If you have a manual transmission with a clutch bell crank (like the cars had), there is no boss on the 80s engines for this. A bracket can be purchased through Mustang shops for this purpose.
Hth,
Scott
1972 F250 Explorer C/S, 390-2V, Dual exhaust, C6, Goose neck ball in bed
New and improved with Tilt Wheel, Intermittent Wipers, 2005 Bench seat and 5th wheel camper!...
Life is *very* good!