Cam Bearing Question (FE 390)

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

73RangerXLT

Cam Bearing Question (FE 390)

Post by 73RangerXLT »

I just got my block back from the machine shop. (FE-390 "352" block) I had it bored 30 over, hot tanked, and new cam bearings installed. I'm about ready to put it together. But when I look at the cam bearings, I'm not sure they are installed correctly.

Looking at the diagram in the Steve Christ "Big Block Ford" book, it shows the oil flowing from the upper center lifter gallery, down through the cam bearings to the main bearings. The cam bearings in my block do not have oil holes to the top of the block and that center oil gallery. There is only one oil hole, and it points down to the bottom of the engine, and the main bearing saddles. I can see through oil hole in the main saddles, and see into the cam bearings. BUT... the rear most bearing is oposite the others. The single oil hole is on the top of the cam, facing the top of the engine. I can see through the oil hole in the bearing, and it looks to be matched to an oil hole in the block. I can only assume that the rear cam bearing is oiled from the lifter gallery. If so, how does the rear main bearing get oil?

I can't remember what the old cam bearings looked like. But based on the Christ diagram, the cam bearings should have two oil holes. One in the top, and one in the bottom, and the bearing should be grooved so that the oil can flow past the cam journals on to the main bearings from the upper oil gallery. My bearings only have one hole, and they aren't grooved. And neither is the journals on the cam.

I just don't understand how oil will get to the cam, and on to the main bearings with no oil feed from that center lifter oil gallery.

Do I have the correct cam bearings? I don't want to assemble the engine if these aren't the right bearings. The machine shop furnished the bearings, so I don't know if the right bearings were ordered, and installed.
It just doesn't make sense to me when I look at it.

Some of you FE experts enlighten me here....
:help:
DuckRyder

Re: Cam Bearing Question (FE 390)

Post by DuckRyder »

Hmm,

Let me do some reserch...

Do you mind if I post this on the FE Forum?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
73RangerXLT

Post by 73RangerXLT »

Please do! I thought I was in the FE forum. I guess I need to look around a bit... :D

Thanks
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

No, You are in the right place on Fordification, the "FE Forum" is another board, but there will be people who know the answer. :wink:
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/th ... 8FE+390%29

I posted it for you in the name of expediancy, however, if you are building an FE you may want to join over there. While certainly a few members from there come here and we have some knowledge, that really is the place for vast experiance with the FE.

I sort of think you have the wrong bearings, but...
Robert

73RangerXLT

Post by 73RangerXLT »

Thanks! I just joined up over there. Neat site.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

No, the only fe bearing that has two holes is the front bearing.

All the others have one hole. There is an oil passage that is machined around the FE cam bearings to flow oil. The oil does not go through the cam bearings.

If steve christs book shows the oil flowing through the bearings then it is wrong, the oil goes around the outside.

Some early FE's did not have the external oil passage and ran grooved camshafts.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70