Fuel Tank Options

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

EM3

Fuel Tank Options

Post by EM3 »

I'm looking for fuel tank options as I rebuild my '68 Camper Special. Would like to remove the in-cab tank and possibly replace the driver side, auxiliary tank with a safer option. Spare tire sits in-between frame rails at the rear. With the gas mileage I get, I like having two tanks - almost 40gal. Any input on fuel tank locations, where to find fuel tank options, would be appreciated.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: Fuel Tank Options

Post by FORDification »

The in-frame auxiliary tank is definitely mounted in the the safest place....inside the frame, so it's completely protected from side impacts, and protected on the bottom by a thick steel skid plate. About the only way you're going to be able to find a "safer" place for a fuel tank is to mount a racing-type fuel cell in the bed....which of course is illegal in most states for a street-driven vehicle AFAIK.

However, you could always go with an aftermarket toolbox/fuel tank combo. It's just like a regular crossbed toolbox, except that the bottom half is a fuel tank. Check out the following link:

http://www.fordification.com/fuel-tank02.htm
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
EM3

Post by EM3 »

Thanks for the info!!
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Chevy suburban 36 gallon tank between the rear frame rails. I've never done it but I had one and it measured out to fit. You would have to deal with the sender because chevys run on different ohms.
But that's where my spare goes you say? Who wnats to crawl under there and find it flat anyway, 2 cans of fixaflat and a tripple AAA card. If the fixaflat don't get it, call AAA.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
saidyene

Post by saidyene »

Will that chevy tank fit under a 70 also?
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

saidyene wrote:Will that chevy tank fit under a 70 also?
Chevy tank measured out to fit in between 34" wide frame rails on my 68. I had it up in there on a floor jack.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

I don't understand the reason everyone wants to remove the in cab tank. It will give you no more leg room and it will never get punctured. If you do roll the truck, all the fuel will spill outside the cab anyway therefore they are perfectly safe. Just make sure the filler hose and sending unit cork gaskets are good and you're golden.

I have no problems with the spare tire location my self. I check the air once on a while and it's simply 2 nuts to unscrew it and drop it down. No bed space is wasted. Fix a flat is crap. It ruins the tire. I've patched many tires that were "fixed" with that and they were not very pretty on the inside.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
reflectionpoint

Post by reflectionpoint »

sideoilerfe wrote:Fix a flat is crap. It ruins the tire.
I second that. Fix a flat should really only be put in tiny cracker box cars for people who aren't smart enough to change a tire. Sidenote: In newer vehicles with sensors, it will ruin the sensor immediately ($100+ each).

I've been kind of concerned about my TWO auxiliary bedside tanks.. I love the capacity but it wouldn't matter what side I got hit on if they had fuel in them, I'd be up in flames, as it were.

The suburban tank sounds interesting, though it's not close to the 65 gal capacity I have now.. safety or distance to empty? Hmmm... :?
Life's a beach.. then you get swimming lessons.
--'72 F102 LWB, RWD, 390 FE, C6, 3.50 Open 9", Current Project.
--'63 F350 LWB, RWD, 390 FE, T18, 5.13 Open D70, future car-hauler.
--'94 Explorer Limited, 4x4, 4.0 Cologne, Auto, 3.73 LS 8.8", Kid Hauler
--'93 Dodge LWB, 4x4, 12v Cummins, Manual, 4.10 Open D60/D70, Newest member. :-)
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

mY 68 HAS THE CAB TANK AND 2 AUX SADDLE TANKS and they are great. However, i will replace the driver side saddle tank with the factory 25 gallon Aux tank eventually ( I have2 of them). I like having the abillity to fill my truck with lots of gas and not worry about it for a while.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
peanutman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by peanutman »

I guess im the odd ball here. I removed the saddle tank and kept the in-cab tank. i agree with sideoilerfe i like the in cab tank, easy to work on and never heard of a danger problem with them, they sit in the safest area of the truck. I know most people remove them for storage and speaker room. :2cents: