cab and box mounts

Moderator: FORDification

torch

cab and box mounts

Post by torch »

I would appreciate some advice from the members of this forum. I have a 1973 F250 with a completely rusted out cab and box but a good frame and drivetrain, and a 1967 F100 cab,box but no drivetrain. I would like to keep the heavier suspension of the F250. Any sugestions of how to proceed? Thanks
crazy larry

re: cab and box mounts

Post by crazy larry »

changing the bed out will be easy. 8 bolts and a wiring plug to disconnect.
Four bolts hold the cab on the frame. you'll need to remove the front fenders. The front mount bolts are behind a cover accessed through the fenderwell area. The cab is gonna be the trick, the trick being hooking the linkages and wiring back up correctly. everything else is just labor.:$$:

what have i forgotten?
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes
torch

Post by torch »

I guess that is what I should have asked on the first post. Are the cab and box mounts the same? Location, size, etc?
crazy larry

Post by crazy larry »

as far as i know, they are the same locations. my truck had a bed from a 73 or later on it, and the bolt holes matched up. don't ask me why it was also welded onto the frame...... :?
damn, i'd hate to do all that work only to find out i didn't know what i was talking about. :oops:
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Everything will bolt on just fine, for the most part. The '73-'79 frames are wider from the rear of the cab back, so you'll have to drill new holes in your bed to mount it. Also, those frames are a tad longer, so if you center the rear tires directly in the middle of the wheelwell, you're going to get a larger gap between the box and the cab. If I recall correctly (and I might not, since I have a severe case of CRS), it's not a lot, 2"-3", but I just thought I'd pass that on. However, you could split the difference and it would be almost unnoticeable.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
1968flareside
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1968flareside »

I've never done the swap you are talking about, I have tackled an entire wire harness though. My suggestion as far as the linkage and wires through the firewall would be to label everything!!!! As detailed as you can get. Learn from my mistake!! :lol:
1968 F-100 Flareside
1999 F-150 XLT 4X4
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10023

:fte: and :fr: DON'T FORGET!!
torch

Post by torch »

Just checked back in after being away for a couple of days. Thanks for the info. torch