Shopping for Mechanics Cart

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Shopping for Mechanics Cart

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

I don't have a garage. I do have what I call my barn. Its about 18x18 with a loft. It has everything in it. The door is only 30''. I do all my automotive work in the driveway. The biggest problem is moving all my tools in and out of the barn. I usually end up with a tailgate covered with stuff by the end of the day, and rounding it up, usually in the dark sucks.
I'm thinking something like this would be helpful.
tool cart.jpg
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... nics+Carts

Does anybody have or use such a thing? Any other ideas on where to look? I looked online at Sears, Northern Tool, Tractor Supply Co, and Home Depot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve

1970 F350 DRW Factory 9' Platform/Stake, 360, T18.
Passed on to new care taker July, 2013

My Photo Gallery
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/
aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Shopping for Mechanics Cart

Post by aramil »

i have a friend that has a mac tools one, its bigger than that, but he uses it as storage for his junk lol
72, f-100 ranger xlt, 360-c6, 2wd 84k miles.
77, ford f-150 custom 4x4, 400m-c6 SOLD

"the existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, sid to himself, "i want to set those people over there on fire, but i dont feel like walking over there to do it"
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Just get one of those. Looks a lot nicer than my Mac one. You'll love it. It's a must have item. Toss the stuff your
gonna use in there. Then you don't have to roll the monster box all over the place. That's a nice one. Got two drawers
and looks made pretty good. Is it on sale? Jake

Drag this around or

This

Jake
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by SteveC »

mac makes a pretty good box they also make one like that that has a slider top those roller carts are one of the best... craftsmans drawers have weaker bearings and will wear out faster the more weight you pile in them( i know i have broke a couple of them.) They get to were they wont close good and sag down.

If that box is the one you want id say get it
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
green68250

Post by green68250 »

Alot of the guys where I work use those to put what they need on and then roll it to the vehicle they are working on, we call them service carts. Also a good place to toss all of you nuts and bolts so you dont loose them down the driveway.

Corbin
Honestly, I really would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy.

1969 F-100 4x4 Dana 44 w/ disk brakes and power steering conversion 390 c6 np205.
1970 F-250 97k original miles bone stock 390 np435 most original unmolested truck I have ever owned.
2001 F-250, Extra Cab, 4x4, 7.3 Direct Injected Turbo Diesel, Edge Programmer, Flowmaster 4" Turbo back Exhaust, 3" Leveling Kit with 33" Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs, and has 250,000 miles and counting.
Merlin68F100

Post by Merlin68F100 »

I got mine at "the home center" $50 and worth it IMHO
"A point in every direction is the same as no point at all."
The Pointless Man
FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FreakysFords »

Don't remember what I paid for mine, but it's integral to my ability to get things done. Mine's a Mac as well, but I got it used from one of the young kids that worked at the Ford dealership for a little bit thinking he wanted to be a mechanic.
It was less than 6 months old and I'm sure I spent less than $200 on it with a few assorted tools.

It's actually common in most areas. Drop by a couple dealerships and see if they've got an oil changer deciding he / she wants to do something else with their life.

I did feel bad about what I paid for mine a week or two later when the Mac man offered me quite a profit for it, but I didn't set the price.

OH BTW, I also have a composite one (read re-enforced plastic, but mighty tough) that I got from Harbor Freight quite a while back and it's the one I roll out to work outdoors. It was just the upper and lower tray and lid with legs and wheels, but I bought the bolt on drawer for it @ the same time. Keep meaning to see if they still sell them so I can add another drawer.
Darlin 69 Ranger 390 4v, PS, DS II, disc front, 3G alternator, 67 mirror.
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

I have a nice welded steel cart 24x36 then I got a Craftmans mid box (3 drawer) and bolted it to the bottom of the top self. I use that set up at work. At home I was given a Champion brand cart ( Sears budget brand)
It works ok is a little narrow and rickety.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

Grats, now load it w/ home tools and make the barn door wider, oh say about 6 by 8 feet :lol:
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

Wes wrote:Grats, now load it w/ home tools and make the barn door wider, oh say about 6 by 8 feet :lol:
Even if the door were big enough, my big old F350 would go right thru the floor!
Steve

1970 F350 DRW Factory 9' Platform/Stake, 360, T18.
Passed on to new care taker July, 2013

My Photo Gallery
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/
speed bump

Post by speed bump »

If someone else is looking until the end of December Napa has a hell of a cart for $250.
71 3/4 ton 4x4 highboy
68 Mercury Monteray