How To This Rust

Moderator: FORDification

1968_ONEHUN

How To This Rust

Post by 1968_ONEHUN »

Hi guys.Does anyone have any tricks to attack the rust that forms on the box seam just above where the chrome strip is?It's pretty hard to get in that little crack.Don't want to have to worry about it again.Thanks again in advance Darryl
1968 F-100 Custom Cab
300 6cyl 4spd

If it ain't broke,what the hell, fix it anyways !
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: How To This Rust

Post by FORDification »

Well, probably the best way would be to get a small portable sandblaster and do it that way. You could mask off the rest of the box. Otherwise, you're probably looking at using something like a wire wheel to get into that crevice.

A lot of people actually run a weld bead down that seam to seal it off, which is what I'll be doing to mine when I get to that point.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

are you guys talking about that area above the trim line that has that sealant in it...sort of a crack between the body panels? my sealant is being pushed out by rust there...not going to do anything about it though...I'll be getting all my body and paint done at once when I have all the parts. still collecting.....
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
1968_ONEHUN

Post by 1968_ONEHUN »

Will try the blast method i think.What would you prime it with,just a regular enamal primer?That will adhere to the metal too i guess will it?Would like to put a primer on,that would be suitable to paint on later
1968 F-100 Custom Cab
300 6cyl 4spd

If it ain't broke,what the hell, fix it anyways !
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

I had the same problem sans the trim. Anyhow, I gouged out all the old seal, then wire brushed the seam as best I could. I put a wire wheel on a 3/8 drill motor and spent a lot of time on it. I then hit by hand with sand paper (folded edge). I think I got all the rust out. Anyhow, I filled it with a bead of seam sealer from the auto paint store and pained over it. It looks pretty good but not factory. I would recommend you do as Keith suggested and weld it if you can; otherwise my method should work for you.

If this link works, you will see the process I used. Check out my gallery here for the finished product.

http://home.comcast.net/~oiga/side_molding.htm

jor