rotted drip edge

Moderator: FORDification

awningdave

rotted drip edge

Post by awningdave »

I am new to this site and find it great so far. Wondering if someone can help me get going on bodywork. I have a 68 F100 that has a decent body apart from the drip edge over the windshield that runs back over the doors and downward. Its pretty badly rusted. I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm debating eliminating it, but I would prefer not to. Any suggestions?
Dave Gossen
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: rotted drip edge

Post by heep70 »

Welcome to the forum. I am not much help here, but thought I would say "HI". You should intro yourself in the "Welcome Mat". Oh, if you get time post some pics of your ride.

Hang in there, I am sure someone here will reply.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Dave, can you post a pic of your rusty area?

Unfortunately, with rust, the only way to fix it is to cut it out and weld in new sheetmetal. Other than replacing the cab (which really isn't that big of a job), it's your only option.

I might have something that could help you out. When I got started on my REALLY rusty cab, it also had the dreaded driprail rust. I cut a patch panel out of a good cab and cut the rusty stuff out. Just before I got started welding the new panel in, I found a good rust-free cab to use, so the patch panel is no longer needed. It's up for grabs if you're interested. It's completely sandblasted and ready to weld. It might save you a lot of time otherwise, trying to find a good cab, cutting patch panels out, etc. Or if you have access to a parts truck, cutting a similar patch is what you're probably going to have to do, depending on the level of rot in yours.

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
awningdave

Post by awningdave »

Keith...thanks for the advise. I think replacement of the drip edge is the only way to go. How much are you looking for on this part?

Dave
Dave Gossen
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Sending you a PM.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!