Inner Fender Support

Moderator: FORDification

phrog167

Inner Fender Support

Post by phrog167 »

I started out replacing the Radiator Support in my 71 F-100. One thing lead to another and ended up needing to replace the inner fenders. Everything was a rusted mess after disassembly. I've got two inner fenders from Dennis Carpenter and two Fender supports from Blue Oval.

What are they supposed to mount to at the cab? Before ordering, I thought the supports from Blue Oval would bolt to the cab. Not the case.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Inner Fender Support

Post by FORDification »

Welcome to the website and forums! You should stop into the Welcome Mat area and properly introduce yourself and tell us about yourself and your truck. :hi:

There should be a bracket on the firewall that supports the inner fenderwell:

Is this what you're missing? I don't know what other kind of 'fender support' you might have gotten from BOP. :hmm:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
redneckF100

Post by redneckF100 »

Phrog167 if you should need a set of brackets Keith is talking about that mount to the firewall to hold the inner fenders on, I have got both the left and right brackets. If you need them, let me know and we can work out some kind of deal.
GIT-R-DONE!!!! GOD CREATED MAN, BUT FORD TRUCKS MADE THEM EQUAL!!!!!
phrog167

Post by phrog167 »

Those brackets are what I need. I thought that was what I was supposed to be getting from Blue Oval. They sent me something that looks like the top part of the inner fender skirt. It looks nothing like anything that came off my truck. It has no holes in it and looks like it might be something that would lay over the top of an existing inner fender to dress it up. It was advertised as a shield & hood support, item #1979-219 L and R. Either way, they're going back.

ED
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

AH! What you got was a patch panel, for rust repair in that area.

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Just out of curiosity: How much did Carpenter nail you for to ship those inner fenders? :?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

Hey if you still have those patch panels I'd be interested in buying them, pM with your asking price
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
chris cupp

Post by chris cupp »

if anybody has those brackets for ineer fender shown above in keiths pic im interested, i live in missouri so everthing around here is rusted awayiv been looking but can find or if there is a way to make something since it is hidden.
if somebody has any let me know its for 1968 f100

chris
redneckF100

Re: re: Inner Fender Support

Post by redneckF100 »

chris cupp wrote:if anybody has those brackets for ineer fender shown above in keiths pic im interested, i live in missouri so everthing around here is rusted awayiv been looking but can find or if there is a way to make something since it is hidden.
if somebody has any let me know its for 1968 f100

chris

I' ve got a good set of brackets chris cupp. If interested give me call at (608) 444-1346
chris cupp

Post by chris cupp »

Redneckf100 check pm

chris
redneckF100

Re: re: Inner Fender Support

Post by redneckF100 »

chris cupp wrote:Redneckf100 check pm

chris
Chris,

Check your pm for price on both brackets.

Greg
Roodaddy

Post by Roodaddy »

Continuing on the discussion, I see Keith's mod/repair/replacement could work for my future need. Were those bits from a catalog or locally made? I know of a metalwork guy who could fix my issue (see attached), but I could pursue the 90-67-15-LH (RH) bits from rustrepair.com if they are more "authentic".

Also, without a ton of tools or talent would this be "out of my league" as a DIY?

Thanks.
Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Those patch panels are really only good if you cut ALL the rust out, weld in these panels, and then paint them (or coat with a rust inhibitor like POR-15 or Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator)...both sides. Just welding them over the top of the existing rust is doing nothing but hiding it....they're gonna continue rusting otherwise. If you buy these patch panels, there's really no such thing as "authentic"...none of them belong and will be obvious as soon as you open the hood. But if you're building a driver and aren't really that concerned with appearance, then they'll work just fine.

I don't see why you couldn't just save the money and fab up your own repair panels, especially since you have someone with knowledge who can give you a hand with the bending and welding. In the meantime I'd still keep your eyes open in the junkyards for some good OEM replacements. Or if you want to drop $175 per side you can buy reproduction inner fenderwells from DennisCarpenter.com. They're a little lighter gauge steel, but otherwise will work just fine.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
68fordshorty

Post by 68fordshorty »

redneck100 check pm
chris
68 f100 short bed
74 Vw Bug
many other toy