rattle caning, and smoothing out the paint

Moderator: FORDification

greenbank

re: rattle caning, and smoothing out the paint

Post by greenbank »

How many cans, would you say, did it take?
1968 F250 Ranger Camper Special
-- 360, AT, PS, PB, disks
-- See Goldie
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Like I said, I did my whole truck. I did alot of careful prep work, sanding ALL the cracks and crevices with 220 grit paper. I cleaned and sanded the door jamb areas to the point of the door gaskets, the underside of the front driprail, etc. I used a little primer on bare metal parts, and then sanded that lightly. I painted one panel area at a time, taping it off with masking tape and newsprint.
The cab took about 10 cans - $35.00. Probably about another 10 cans for the box. jz
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: rattle caning, and smoothing out the paint

Post by dcbullet »

greenbank wrote:How many cans, would you say, did it take?
For sure 2 is not enough for the just the hood, because I ran out.
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Jz,...it looks good in the pics....Can you,like,buff out runs and rough spots?....How is the color match from can to can?....Also,how do you keep the rattle can from dripping paint on your nice work when you're painting the hood?
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Color match is no problem. The type of paint I used, "engine enamel" has some kind of ceramic compound in it and is somewhat slow drying. It is high gloss though. If you were to get a stray run, it can be sanded out after a few weeks of drying. My spraying is OK which limits the runs, but I did get a few. The colors of the engine enamels is limited though. There is a type called "Truck and Van Paint" too, which I have used and thought was OK. It is more like laquer though and is quick drying, easily sandable but not as durable. Another paint in the spraycan I liked is called VHT brand.
I did not cover everything with primer first, and where I shot a little primer on bare metal spots, I sanded it alot almost to the point of taking most of it off. The main thing I say about trying to use spraycans for panels is to prep thoroughly, by sanding down to 220 grit. That is 90% of the time involved. Wipe it all down with a towel or something and on the first coat, just lightly "mist" the whole panel - and let it dry. Then start with the light coats. If you try to cover too fast (thick) you'll get runs. I used 2 to 3 coats of paint after the initial mist coat. And let it tack up a little between coats. Always keep the can moving when spraying. jz
frankc67

Post by frankc67 »

I wonder if taking the hood off and standing it upright would help any, that way the only horizontal spraying you would have, would be top of cab. I know more work and would need a buddy to help remove and replace hood when finished. Anyway just a thought.
1968 Ford Pickup
1998 Ford F-150 extended Cab
2000 Ford Explorer
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-1469
pimpin1970

Post by pimpin1970 »

It been said but I will be doing the same thing, I would actually love to have somebody professionally do it but I definitely do not have the cash flow for that, and I don't have my own sprayer so I am pretty much stuck with rattle can. I think I can pull off a decent look.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: rattle caning, and smoothing out the paint

Post by dcbullet »

frankc67 wrote:I wonder if taking the hood off and standing it upright would help any, that way the only horizontal spraying you would have, would be top of cab. I know more work and would need a buddy to help remove and replace hood when finished. Anyway just a thought.
That is a good idea.
luv2reload

Post by luv2reload »

why don't you just buy a paint gun and get some auto paint and spray it with a good gun

I think you problem lies in that the paint is too thick, that paint thinner ratio is what gives you a nice paint job. You said you wanted candy apple red, well you could get a candy red paint and add some metal flake to it and make it sparkle, I've seen someone paint a car that had sparkle in it from the can and they've had nothing but trouble. And a good gun can be had for a decent price. A friend of mine that is restoing a truck got two gravity fed guns(large and small) plus all the different tips it came with for $100, and you get to keep it and use it again at another time.