dying on slow turns and stops.

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

charger01

dying on slow turns and stops.

Post by charger01 »

My 69 f100 240 auto keep dying on me whenever I slow down for a turn or a stop. The idle is fine, if anything it is a little too high, as it likes to pull just a tad from idle. It has had a total tuneup done to it. Timing is not set with a light, but have changed it numerous times. Any ideas what can cause this. Even rebuilt the carb. Havent adjusted air/fuel mixture as Iam not too familiar with how> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bob
customcrewcab
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: dying on slow turns and stops.

Post by customcrewcab »

vac leak? take some carb cleaner and spray it around the vac lines and vac plugs. also near the base and areounf the carb just not in it. if it idles up you have a leak.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10106
if theres a new way, i'll be the first in line. it better work this time

1970 crewcab 393w afr heads, 6 speed, turbocharged, 6 piston calipers 13" rotors on all 4 corners
Negative

Post by Negative »

hmmm... When you slow down and when you turn you are using gravity and other Newton forces and those effect most things in an automobile. (how is that for stating the obvious?)

If it "just dies" then you probably have a bad mix, bad gas or an internal leak somewhere (valves perhaps? does it smoke?)

if it "shutters and dies" you could have a clogged filter (fuel) or bad fuel lines. I would check all fuel lines for cracks and leaks, make sure the PCV is working (vacuum lines can do this too) and replace the fuel filter.

Good Luck!
CWoT ~ Are you smart enough?

'69 F250 - Lunar Green (ewww)
Custom Cab - 2wd - 360 - C6 auto.
charger01

Post by charger01 »

Now the darn thing wont even idle at start up...Kinda tempramental. runs different at different times. It smokes a little bit at start up, but not ones it's running. I have replaced all the vacuum lines and carb gasket. Gettin frustrating.
3406kris

Post by 3406kris »

Sticking float?
charger01

Post by charger01 »

hmmm could be. been thinking about replacing the carb. Just had it apart and cleaned all the varnish gunked up in one side of it. Had a bunch in it. maybe i missed some.
Negative

Post by Negative »

It does sound more fuel oriented than anything else. Smoking on start up usually leads to blow by at the valve seals, which would make it idle rough and could cause some running issues, but I doubt it would cause what you are describing.

I am still thinking clogged lines, perhaps clogged filter, the clog could be small enough to move around as the truck drives, which would explain your temperamentalness...
CWoT ~ Are you smart enough?

'69 F250 - Lunar Green (ewww)
Custom Cab - 2wd - 360 - C6 auto.
Faltura

Post by Faltura »

I had a 289 that would stall on turns. It was flooding out because the power valve was bad which sloshed more gas to the engine. It would then be hard to start.
smclaren
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by smclaren »

It's somewhere in that Carby, my friend !!!! :x
Image Steve - Caloundra, QLD, Australia Image
1969 F100 4x2, RHD, Base Model, 240ci, 4sp, Dealer Canopy, No Bloody Radio.