Duraspark retrofit

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
ttyR2

Duraspark retrofit

Post by ttyR2 »

I'm interested in retrofitting a Duraspark system in my '71 F250 with a 390 engine. Google, and this forum, have turned up some info but I wanted to run through the list of parts I need before hitting the big wrecking yard (doing it this weekend while visiting friends).

Looks like I need the Duraspark ignition module itself, two wire version (blue grommet), distributor, possibly coil, and all the wiring that put the system together, along with generous lengths of the wiring harness out of the origional truck to graft into the harness in mine.

Any thing I'm missing? From what I understand, the setup out of a '76 - '79 truck should work.
Jeremy
1971 Ford F250 CS, SC, 2X4, 390, C6
'75-4x4guy

re: Duraspark retrofit

Post by '75-4x4guy »

I think you will want the dura spark from the later 77-79 truck , and a FE distributor
I have the 1975 dura spark in my truck I like it because there are a lot less wires then the later system . I know that the later system is supposed to be better then the earlier system ( I don't remember why though).
The wiring process is pretty straight forward especially if you can remember what it looked like on the donor truck .
Jon