Brake and Paint time

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

bm52

Brake and Paint time

Post by bm52 »

We have the truck running pretty well now, so it's time to tackle the brakes. This past weekend we put it up on jack stands, removed the brake drums, and took off the bed.

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=215

We plan to replace all the brake lines, hoses and hardware. The drums look OK, so we'll have them turned and clean them up. While we are re-doing the brakes, we plan to also sand and paint the frame and suspension. This should keep us busy for a while.
1969 F100 SWB 4x4
2001 F150 Sport
1977 Camaro Coupe
granitestate68

re: Brake and Paint time

Post by granitestate68 »

Hey BM52,

Looks like you you're making some great progress. This is the project you're working on with your son right?. How's he enjoying it? A lot of work huh :lol: Loved the pictures in your album. That's the way to show us the progress. Live for the detail. Well, keep us posted. I for one will be trying to keep up with it and can't wait for the outcome.

Lee
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... p?pos=-550
1996 F250 Slightly lifted 7.3L Diesel
1961 Falcon Ranchero 144 Inline 6
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Looking good! Well, except for those rear brakes....man, I don't think I've EVER seen brakes as corroded as those are. It almost looks like the truck was sitting in saltwater for about 10 years or so! :lol:

You know....as long as you have the bed off, and since you're planning on painting the frame anyway, don't you think you might as well pull the rest of the sheetmetal, to give you full access to the frame? ;)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
bm52

Post by bm52 »

Yes my son and I are doing this project together. He is 15, will be 16 in Nov., and this will be his first ride :pray: . Our target completion date is to have the truck on the road in October (before deer season). A friend of mine is helping too. Neither of us have worked on any vehicles in years, the newer ones are no fun to mess with, so it's sorta refreshing to work on something as straightforward as this truck.

This truck spent most of it's life on the Texas Gulf Coast (12 years in the rice fields, 10 years sitting in a quonset barn, 5 years on a deer lease in the Texas Hill Country, then 9 years in the back yard). It has low mileage on it, so most of the damage is due to corrosion. The rear brakes do look horrible, we can't wait to clean them up and get them working. All the brake lines and hoses need replacing. We plan to buy sections of line already cut and flared, and bend them ourselves. I haven't had much luck finding brake hoses for this truck, there doesn't seem to be an abundance of some parts for the 4x4 69's.

It's very tempting to take everything off the frame. I'm already starting to experience the "while we're at it" syndrome :$$: . Right now we plan to remove all the sheet metal except for the main cab.

The biggest challenges I see ahead of us - finding a replacement short box with no rust damage, and cutting out/replacing sections of the body (cowl corners and rear cab corners) because I can't weld.
1969 F100 SWB 4x4
2001 F150 Sport
1977 Camaro Coupe
'75-4x4guy

Post by '75-4x4guy »

I really dont see why you could'nt use the brake hose for a 1975 F100 4x4 . drum brakes are drum brakes ! I was able to find all of the hoses I needed to re-do mine ...maybe that is a route to go !
Jon
FoMoCo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoMoCo »

I called advance auto and had everything for the brakes(Master, lines, cylinders, shoes, hardware, drums) in several days. Front rubber lines are expensive, so are drums. Might want to go stainless, I cant see it being much more.

Check out National Parts Depot. They have everything including prebent lines.

Nick
1969 F-100
2006 Fusion SEL
2006 e-320 cdi
2004 excursion V-10
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: Brake and Paint time

Post by flyboy2610 »

FoMoCo wrote:
Check out National Parts Depot. They have everything including prebent lines.

Nick
That's where I got my brake parts from. They look to be of good quality. They have a large selection. You should be able to find your hoses there.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
morganater

Post by morganater »

Awesome, I am only 16 and have done tons of work to a 68 before I even got my license. It was fun to do when I was 15 and didn't have anything but school... but who needs school :?

Now I'm 16 and am about to tackle 2 motor removals and get the '68 back on the road... tons of electrical work and stuff. Good thing you care about the brakes, I am just too deep in to worry about the REALLY important stuff now.

Do you have power brakes? Or steering? I remember as a small 15yo I had fun in the parking lots with the steering :D

I'm really happy for you to have a father/son project such as a old ford
1969 f100 swb ranger 460 - parting out
1968 f100 swb 429 - decking out
94 Jeep I6 Back-up vehicle
reppin' AK