Truck meets POR-15

Moderator: FORDification

bm52

Truck meets POR-15

Post by bm52 »

We are about to paint the frame, drive shafts, suspension, fenderwells, firewall and the underside of the cab. After reading the pro's/con's of all the products out there we plan to use POR-15. We are not doing a frame-off restore, so a number of the parts will be painted in-place.

Before we dive off into this phase of the project, I wanted to see if anyone had any advise or suggestions? Also for those who have used POR-15, how's it holding up?
1969 F100 SWB 4x4
2001 F150 Sport
1977 Camaro Coupe
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Truck meets POR-15

Post by cobraF100 »

I haven't used POR-15 on the frame Yet but I did my own little test to see how it holds up..

POR-20 (High Temp)
I painted it on a Bracket,then put it in the oven at 350 for an hour. well I took it out and took a Hammer :evil: to it and it held up really good...
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
OldBlue67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by OldBlue67 »

If you have to paint over the seems of something (or just anywhere two things are touching) make sure its not something you need to remove....ever :lol: Its some burly stuff. I did the underside of my bed a bit ago, but haven't had it on yet to see how it holds up.

oh and for the love of god don't get it on your skin. If you do, it'll start to come off in about a week or two, but the rash sticks around a lot longer :eek: :lol: ...k'hem, not like I know or anything :o :P
~Liz
Old Blue Truck is Old and Blue
Ugly as sin but dont get in my way VA-ROOOOOOMMMMM!! :evil: :evil:
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

:nono: :nono:
John H. :lol:
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I'd have to advise against using POR-15 on the driveshafts, since it'll more than likely affect the driveshaft's balance. I'd just sand down and then use a rattle-can paint on those.

I've heard nothing but good things about POR-15...as long as you follow their preparation instructions to the letter! Do not cut any corners in this area, or it won't last. Make sure any grease, oil, rust flakes, etc. has been removed first. I'm using POR-15 in quite a few different areas on my truck too, but of course mine hasn't hit the streets yet, so it remains to be seen how it holds up. But I took extra pains to make sure I followed their prep procedures, so I'm thinking I'll be just fine. Since you can't paint the POR-15 after it dries, I'm waiting until it's very tacky, and then hitting it with several coats of Krylon semi-flat black.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
bm52

Post by bm52 »

Are there any other areas, besides the drive shafts, that I shouldn't use the POR-15 on? Once it's applied, is it thick enough to possibly affect how some parts may go back together?
1969 F100 SWB 4x4
2001 F150 Sport
1977 Camaro Coupe
OldBlue67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: Truck meets POR-15

Post by OldBlue67 »

bm52 wrote:Are there any other areas, besides the drive shafts, that I shouldn't use the POR-15 on? Once it's applied, is it thick enough to possibly affect how some parts may go back together?
Its actually a lot thinner than I expected it to be, much more fluid even kinda runny. I don't think that it would be thick enough to interfere with things going back together, even with a couple of coats.
~Liz
Old Blue Truck is Old and Blue
Ugly as sin but dont get in my way VA-ROOOOOOMMMMM!! :evil: :evil:
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I would say about the only places you shouldn't apply POR-15 are any machined contact surfaces and anything rotating/balanced. And unless you're putting 45 coats of the stuff on, it shouldn't affect reassembly of anything either....as OldBlue67 mentioned, it's not really that thick.

One thing I'll pass on to you: I've been applying my POR-15 with a brush. It comes out of the can just thick enough to leave brush strokes, that won't smooth out. If you don't want brush strokes and would prefer it smooth, just thin it out a little bit as recommended in the instructions. Otherwise you can just dab it with a sponge after applying it, which will give it a slight texture...which in my opinion looks MUCH better than brushstrokes.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
bm52

Post by bm52 »

Thanks for all the advise on using this stuff. I had thought about using a paint sponge to apply it in some areas, so I guess we'll experiment around with it a little. We will probably take the leaf springs apart and paint them, will POR-15 hold up on something that will be flexing like this?
1969 F100 SWB 4x4
2001 F150 Sport
1977 Camaro Coupe
michaelbrainard

Post by michaelbrainard »

I used POR15 on the inner fenders ( inside and out ) the inside of the front fenders and some other places. The inner fenders were completly sand blasted and I put the POR right over top of that rough surface. I used a $.49 FOAM paint brush to apply it..when dry I put on another coat. The foam brush works much better than a bristle brush as you can control the "flow" easier and get a much more consistant application. I tried the bristle brush and had runs and sags all over the place. Try the foam brushes! When dry ( I waited several days ) I scuffed the POR with a scotchbright pad and sprayed 2 coats of Epoxy primer ( to all parts - POR or not ) then on the inner fenders I sprayed 2 coats of gloss black (battery support also..and all inside components) I did a test to see how well the primer and paint stuck to the POR and I think it held very well. Time will tell.

Like many of you, my parts haven't hit the road yet so I don't know how well it will hold up. I do know, it is VERY durable and does not come off of anything, including your hands or clothes.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

sounds like something i need!
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com