The Time Machine

Show us your rides or projects!

Moderator: FORDification

69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: The Time Machine

Post by 69timemachine »

Thanks for all the support everyone! Chris, I did the rear drop a few weeks ago. I used the DJM 4-inch hanger & shackle drop kit and DJM's drop shocks. I also ordered a poly spring eye bushing kit and the short poly overload snubbers (Energy Suspension #9-9102R) for more bottom-out clearance. The only other thing I plan on adding to the rear is a sway bar. It may be a couple months before I do that though. :yes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 69timemachine on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
"Where there's a wheel, there's a way!"
'69 F100 SWB in Lunar Green with built 351C & TKO-600 5-speed, 4.56 gears, and Eaton TrueTrac Posi.
Future plans: Maybe one day, fresh paint, though I've been told by some, "Don't touch it! It's done!"
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

Sold: '77 F100, '72 Gran Torino, '76 El Camino with 454 & TH400
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Well, I got my truck off the jackstands tonight. I still have to install the new booster & master cylinder and plumb the new brake lines, but here's a teaser pic of the somewhat finished product. Again, the new wheels and tires are on the way, so don't hold that against me! <LOL>

The only bummer is that neither my original nor my 70's car dog dish hubcaps will fit now with the disc brakes; they're not deep enough to clear the dust caps. I seemed to overlook that in my planning. I'll have to try and scrounge up a set of the 70's pickup FMC dog dishes or even the early 90's ford oval pickup dog dishes. They should be about a half-inch deeper.

Once the brakes are operational, I'll drive it out of the garage and take a better pic to post alongside the stock and rear drop pictures I already posted. To be continued......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 69timemachine on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
'69 F100 SWB in Lunar Green with built 351C & TKO-600 5-speed, 4.56 gears, and Eaton TrueTrac Posi.
Future plans: Maybe one day, fresh paint, though I've been told by some, "Don't touch it! It's done!"
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

Looks great. Did the beams give you a true 4" drop?
427blackpearl
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 427blackpearl »

:thup: :thup: looks good. what size tire and wheel are you going to use.
i got 15x5.5 front and 15x8 rear with 235x75front/31x10.5 rear now
with the same lowering kit
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Austin, In all my excitement of beginning the front drop, I forgot to measure the before height. <LOL> Oops. The rear is a 4-inch drop, and that's exactly what the measurements turned out to be. The drop beams are supposed to be 3-inches of drop, and I'd say that looks about correct when comparing this photo to the earlier ones of my truck.

As far as wheels and tires, I've got a buddy building me a pair of custom 15x9's for the rear and I'm planning on using 275/60/15 tires (9-inch tread). For the front, I'll probably have the same buddy build me some 15x7 or 15x8 wheels; whatever I can get away with in the fenderwell. I'll use a 7-inch or an 8-inch tread width to match whatever rim I use on the front. I don't know the exact tire size for the front just yet. Probably something a little shorter than the rear to give the truck a very slight rake. Should look mean! :D
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

427blackpearl
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 427blackpearl »

what off set are the rear. i plan on switching to 15x9 and 15x7 also
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

lookin' good jason!!! can't wait to see it with some wheels and tires.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Thanks guys! The rear wheelwells in my truck measure 13.25 inches. With a 9 inch wheel, and figuring 1 inch inside and 1 inch outside for tire sidewall, that leaves a little over 1 inch inside and 1 inch outside clearance. The factory steelies have 3.5 inch backspace and 2.5 inch frontspace. My new steelies will keep the 3.5 inch backspace and the new frontspace will be 5.5 inches. That should center the wheels perfectly in the wheelwells.

I haven't measured the front wheel to fender clearance yet, but I'm thinking that the new front wheels will simply increase the frontspace by 1 or 2 inches, making it 3.5 or 4.5. The backspace will stay 3.5 inches also.

If anyone is interested in doing the same thing as I am, you can purchase new wheel hoops from Marsh Racing Wheels.
http://www.mrt-wheels.com/catpages/wheel%20parts.html
The trick is finding a machine shop that doesn't mind tackling wheel work. The other trick is that no one makes 9 inch hoops. I purchased the 10 inch hoops and my buddy is lathing a 1 inch ring out of them then welding them back together and installing the centers. He has his own machine shop and builds various parts for foreign cars and does business on the internet. He might be branching out into more wheel work in the future. I'll be sure to post his website on the forum once I ask him if he doesn't mind.

The other option is Stockton Wheel, but they have wheels in 15x8 and 15x10, no 15x9's. I never contacted them to ask if they could build a 9 inch hoop because my friend told me about the hoops that Marsh Racing sells and offered to build them before I got that far. If they don't customize hoops, then the 15x8's they sell are the best bet as long as you don't mind a little extra room. I guess I just decided to go the extra mile for a custom touch. I'll be sure to post pics when they're finished. :D
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

After a long wait, here are some pics of the completed DJM 3-4" suspension drop. Sorry it took so long to get them posted. I still don't have the new rims and tires installed, but don't worry, I'll be sure to post a picture when I receive and install them. If they look like I think they will, then the truck will instantly look ten times cooler with them installed. I can't wait!

You might also notice that I ditched the farm truck rear bumper for a factory style one. It just seems to make the truck look better. I won't be towing with it anyway.

My next project is new seat upholstery and floor mat, three-point seat belts, rear sway bar, and a new passenger's fender apron and battery box. To be continued......
Last edited by 69timemachine on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

427blackpearl
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 427blackpearl »

looks nice :thup: :thup: it looks like it sits lower than mine, might be the tire size
72stepside
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 72stepside »

I'm not usually real keen on dropping anything, but you did it right. Nice job. Looks good. :thup:
Chris
72 F100 Stepside w/ 78 300 CID
Hedman Headers
Disc Brakes
Power Steering with 3 STILL on the tree
Comfy Crown Vic Seats

71 F250 PS, PB, AC, Auto, 390
Loooong way to go on this one!

ImageImage
ImageImage
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

yes it does look good! i am saving all your links and part #'s for when i decide to either redo my rear the right way or find another truck to drop.
man i like that truck!
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Another couple steps in the right direction have been made today. A buddy and I got the Cleveland yanked from the Mustang (aka Rustang) today. It'll be a little while before I have the money to go through it, but at least it's in the garage now and on a stand waiting until that big disassembly day comes. To be continued.......
Last edited by 69timemachine on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

69NVF100

Post by 69NVF100 »

Super nice rig I reall like the stance :thup:
mickster

Post by mickster »

purfect stance, what I'm shooting for! power steering, auto, air?
'68 F100
'69 F100
'80 320i
'02 superduty
'06 freestyle