check for short in wire?

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

check for short in wire?

Post by BigRedTruck »

there has got to be a method to do this...as far as not having to look at everything....something with the turn signal wires his busting fuses. It only happens after I use the turn signals. In the fuse box....what else runs off of the turn signal fuse.? thanks
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: check for short in wire?

Post by NM5K »

Sounds like a wire might be worn thru and rubbing
on the chassis somewhere. Take a good look at the
wire that feeds the turn signals, and see if any place
is grounding out. Is it both signals, or just one side?
MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

well, i honestly don't know.....the fuses last a day or two so its hard to tell...and since the signals only work when its running I'm trying to keep away from sitting the driveway for a day hoping to burn out a fuse. I broke the turn signal cam a bit back...don't know if that would do it though. a while back some casing on the column broke and to fix it he cut the wires then melted them together again....this was years ago and this happened all of a sudden.
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

I think your turn signal switch is shorting something out. Maybe time to pull the wheel and check things out.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."