dana 60 swap

4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

ford-nut

dana 60 swap

Post by ford-nut »

posted this in driveline section, but need info on this swap. I have the opportunity to buy a 79 f350 dana 60, and want to know if this is a bolt in for my 69 highboy. I can change spring pads, if they are different, but what about width? Steering linkage?

Any and all info appriciated.

Jeff
1969 highboy 4x4 492 fe stroker, c6
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: dana 60 swap

Post by 460 crew »

I have installed a 79 D60 front axle in my 70 crewcab everything bolted up. Only real change was with the high pinion you have to shorten the front driveshaft like 2in. Also the brake proportioning valve for the disks and new brake lines and master cylinder&booster. Just a few little things but a basic bolt-in. Congrats on the new axle! PM me if you have any other ?'s.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
ford-nut

Post by ford-nut »

i need a new master cyl. and booster?? It has power drums now. I was hopeing NOT to have to change anything else. Where do i get such items>>?? Thanks. NICE looking crew cab. I like the cross over steering also. Where did you get it?? I can make one, like i did my bronco, but the arm is store bought, no?

Thanks, Jef
1969 highboy 4x4 492 fe stroker, c6
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

I have the 79 MC on mine with a 70's smaller booster so it will fit next to the 460 the larger 79 one is too big to fit. Might work with a 360 with the smaller valvecovers. I know you will need the proportioning valve for sure. I think the smaller booster dosent't asssist as much as the larger one because everything in the system is new and adjusted properly and it still isn't the right feel from what I've felt on a few 78,79's. So you could get by with your booster jst add a 78-79 MC and the proportioning valve( I might have a spare one)300 bucks from ford is rediulous!! OR if you have a local junkyard. Crossover steering I had bought the arm on the pass knuckle off ebay and bought a new cap for the driver side from boyce truck parts in Utah. The steering draglink and spherical rod ends I got from bulletproof steering and is their trailready version they have 3 to choose from,any of them ready for abuse. When I have the money I will be doing the tierod also. Also my extended stainless steel braided brake lines for the fronts were from Skyjacker. I assume you could contact the seller of your axle to see if he has these parts for you or just the junkyard will do.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179