neutral safety switch change

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

cjhall

neutral safety switch change

Post by cjhall »

Does anyone know what to do about the neutral safety switch if I were to swap a 1976 steering column into my 1970 F100 (2wd). Am I correct in believing that the neutral safety switch was moved to the transmission from the column. I am doing the swap as part of a Power Steering upgrade. Thanks for your time,

Chris
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i'm unsure if all of the dentsides moved the switch to the transmission. i do know that the 76 column should have a place on it to put the old column switch on it. so you should be ok either way.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: neutral safety switch change

Post by FORDification »

The NSS was moved in to the side of the transmission in '78-'79 (at least on the C6's), instead of at the base of the steering column. When you want to use a '78-'79 tilt column with an earlier C6, you'll need to drill and tap the bosses and set up a neutral safety switch here.

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Nausea

Post by Nausea »

A side note to the neutral switch... there's also a set of contacts in it which feed the reverse tail lights.
-------------------------------------------
'72 F250 Ranger
Disk brakes, PS/PB, 360 2bbl
Current condition : beloved 'beater'
'70 F250 Camper Special
Currently in the shop, totally stripped
cjhall

Post by cjhall »

Thanks for all the information. I have not yet laid eyes on the steering column from the 76'. The truck is sitting in a friends yard waiting to be parted out. I guess I'll have to wait and see what I have there. Thanks again, the pictures were great.

Chris
Happy_Camper
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: neutral safety switch change

Post by Happy_Camper »

Resurecting an old thread :wink:

I notice the shift linkage setup in the picture here, looks diffent than what is on my '72 F250 CS (390 / C6). Will this NSS work on a '72 390-C6 without changing the levers to later model?
I just picked up a '79 tilt column, and before installing the column I'd like to take care of the N.S.S. / B.U. light wiring.
Also any chance someone knows the Ford PN. I'd like to get an OEM switch if I can.
Thanks for the help! :thup:
Scott
1972 F250 Explorer C/S, 390-2V, Dual exhaust, C6, Goose neck ball in bed
New and improved with Tilt Wheel, Intermittent Wipers, 2005 Bench seat and 5th wheel camper!...
Life is *very* good!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

No, you'll have to get the later NSS and linkage. Here are the parts you'll have to steal from the donor transmission to use on your older C6, in addition to the outside pieces. (I'm thinking that the rod from the steering column to the transmission will work, but don't quote me on that):

(CLICK TO ENLARGE)
Image Image

Of course, you could just wire in your existing column-mounted NSS by cutting/splicing the appropriate wires from the tilt column.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Hawkrod »

The shift linkage shown above is for a 4 X 4. They are different than 2 X 4. To use a trans mounted NSS you need to drill and tap the two bosses on the trans (do not drill through to the inside) and you have to change the shift lever to one for an NSS as they have slots to index the switch. You can't mount an NSS on the 78/9 tilt column unless you modify it as Ford did not make a provision for an NSS on the columns so there is nothing to cut or splice into. Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1
Happy_Camper
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Happy_Camper »

Thanks guys,

I just read that it *may* be possible to modify the '79 column to accept the old column style nss, and will look closely at that first. I have been doing some more searching on this, and from what I just read, the lever may not have been updated for the new column. So the old style switch can *supposedly* be used by drilling two holes in the '79 column tube that aligns the switch to the lever. I could be totally wrong here, as the posts with this information are pretty vague.
Otherwise I'll get the correct linkage, transmission mounted switch, and fabricate a sub harness for the upgrade.
Either way should be fairly easy with the right parts.
I sincerely appreciate the help!

Scott
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Hawkrod »

I think what you read was lacking too much info as there is no lever or hole for a lever or switch related to an NSS. If you want to install an NSS on a 78/9 column you need to do some work. First you need to cut a hole in the outer tube for the NSS lever to stick through. Then you have to mount the NSS lever on the inner tube (which is really easy as you just have to drill holes). Once you have made these two modifications you can mount a swich. If you use an early column as a template it really isn't that hard but is not truly a beginers project. I have done several and if you use a cut off wheel you can replicate the hole easily and then it is just a matter of indexing evererything properly and drilling some more holes. Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1
Happy_Camper
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Happy_Camper »

Finally went out and looked under the dash to see what you are saying. Makes perfect sense when you look at it. This is most likely what I will do. It would make for a very clean installation.
Thanks!
Scott
1972 F250 Explorer C/S, 390-2V, Dual exhaust, C6, Goose neck ball in bed
New and improved with Tilt Wheel, Intermittent Wipers, 2005 Bench seat and 5th wheel camper!...
Life is *very* good!
KF100TK

Post by KF100TK »

How do you remove this piece from the tranny? :?
PO had cut the shift linkage off when he put a B&M shifter in. :doh:

FORDification wrote:No, you'll have to get the later NSS and linkage. Here are the parts you'll have to steal from the donor transmission to use on your older C6, in addition to the outside pieces. (I'm thinking that the rod from the steering column to the transmission will work, but don't quote me on that):

(CLICK TO ENLARGE)
Image Image

Of course, you could just wire in your existing column-mounted NSS by cutting/splicing the appropriate wires from the tilt column.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

in htose pictures it has a bolt in the center holding the switch onto the shaft. in the other pictures i has the switch held on with two bolts from the outside edges.
KF100TK

Post by KF100TK »

KF100TK wrote:How do you remove this piece from the tranny? :?
PO had cut the shift linkage off when he put a B&M shifter in. :doh:

FORDification wrote:No, you'll have to get the later NSS and linkage. Here are the parts you'll have to steal from the donor transmission to use on your older C6, in addition to the outside pieces. (I'm thinking that the rod from the steering column to the transmission will work, but don't quote me on that):

(CLICK TO ENLARGE)
Image Image

I discovered you have to drop the valve body to access the 7/8 nut then you can pull the linkage out. :doh: