Got stiffed by Dennis Carpenters....

Tell us your good and/or bad experiences

Moderator: FORDification

theogre5150

Got stiffed by Dennis Carpenters....

Post by theogre5150 »

I know it's not a big deal to most but to me, I'm pretty pi$$ed about the whole situation. I ordered 4 things from DC last Wednesday morning and did not receive them until yesterday afternoon. I paid for UPS ground shipping and from North Carolina to Alabama, well it should not take that long to get here. The fuel cap that I ordered was supposed to fit my '71. It doesn't. I also ordered a side marker lamp, a fuel neck grommet, and a filler neck hose. All of these items were very much in stock when I ordered them. I received everything but the grommet. Well, I can't replace my filler neck hose until I have the grommet so I have to wait on that. I called DC up just a minute ago and got some smart a$$ on the phone who seemed like he was too busy to talk to me. I asked him about the grommet and why it showed an available quantity when I ordered it and the jerk said "There's a note at the bottom of your invoice. It says that you need to reorder. What else is wrong?". All this time he has a tone in his voice that is making me madder by the second. I told him that the fuel cap that they had advertised to fit a '71 does not fit. All he did was give me a RMA#. Didn't even try to help or find a replacement.

As stated before, I will never do business with Dennis Carpenters again. I would rather post over at FTE (:fte: ) than order from them again. :x

Sorry about the rant. And also about the whole FTE thing. I was kidding about that. I'll never go back to the dark side. :fr:
Last edited by theogre5150 on Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Eman

re: Got stiffed by Dennis Carpenters....I'll never use 'em a

Post by The_Eman »

Who are you going to order from in the future. I was about to place a $500 or $600 order from DC. I'm rethinking that now.
MaxKlinger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MaxKlinger »

Isn't 4 business days pretty good for UPS ground? That doesn't sound too bad to me.
Tony
'72 F100 LWB 2WD Custom, 360FE, T18
'05 Focus ZX4 ST - 2.3L, 5spd
'83 F150 LWB 2WD, 300-I6, C6 scrapped 2006
theogre5150

Re: re: Got stiffed by Dennis Carpenters....I'll never use '

Post by theogre5150 »

MaxKlinger wrote:Isn't 4 business days pretty good for UPS ground? That doesn't sound too bad to me.
No. It should have been here quicker than that. I could understand if I was further away. I might as well just keep the fuel cap. It cost me $7 and to ship it back would cost me more.

I'll probably order from Mac's, NPD, and as a last resort LMC. I know I'm blowing this out of proportion but I needed that grommet and I waited a couple of days just to not receive it. I had the same stuff priced through LMC and it was a little bit more, surprisingly and I figured that I would get it faster by going with DC.
steemer54

Post by steemer54 »

You are right the customer service there is not near as good as NPD or others. It took me a couple months to get a refund on a $5.00 part.
theogre5150

Post by theogre5150 »

Hey Tony, I noticed at the bottom of your post that you are looking for a steering wheel. I have a steering wheel that I believe is from the 67-69 years. It's got some cracks in it but I can take some pics of it and you can decide if you want it or not.
MaxKlinger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MaxKlinger »

Eric, just dropped you a pm about the steering wheel.
Tony
'72 F100 LWB 2WD Custom, 360FE, T18
'05 Focus ZX4 ST - 2.3L, 5spd
'83 F150 LWB 2WD, 300-I6, C6 scrapped 2006
theogre5150

Post by theogre5150 »

Replied.
The_Eman

Post by The_Eman »

I'm not so worried about the delivery time. You are right, should have been there faster but that isn't a reason to nix a company. I am more concerned about the reps attitude when you spoke to him.
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

If you want something in a hurry, don't order it shipped by UPS ground, plain and simple. That's not D.C.'s fault in any way, and with D.C. having gotten the order Wednesday, and you having it in your hands (3 states away) in 3 business days is pretty danged fast. If you didn't pay for 2-day or Saturday delivery, then you can't expect it that fast, and I'm surprised you got it as fast as you did considering the distance involved.

As for the rest, how was YOUR tone when he first answered? If you're adversarial right away, no customer service rep is going to WANT to help you, especially considering that they are very likely not the person in charge of:

1) keeping the website updated (to make sure that the grommet really IS in stock before someone orders one)
2) picking the order
3) packing the order
4) shipping the order

On another note, as for the cap being the wrong one, he very likely doesn't have access to a `71 Ford truck, so he can't go through the warehouse testing gas caps to make sure you get one that fits. Giving you an RMA# is pretty common, and SOP with most commercial companies. Don't really see the issue there, especially if you had a bad tone with him. Probably hoping you would call back and get someone else on the line, so he didn't have to deal with you anymore.

FYI, I just went through a similar thing with Summit. Ordered a clutch kit for my truck, and the website stated it was a diaphragm clutch (reason I ordered it in the first place). Got it in the mail, and it was a Long style. Called them up to inquire why the part #'s were correct on the box (compared to the websites' listing) and see about getting them switched, and he didn't have an answer right away, except that he would ship another one out and have the guys in the warehouse open up the same part# boxes to check them out.

BUT, he took my number and told me he would call me when he did have one. Next day there's a voice mail waiting for me, telling me that the part # is for a Long style clutch, and that ZOOM (Perfection Clutch brand) doesn't OFFER a diaphragm clutch kit for these trucks, and that was a mistake in the listing.

Of course, I could have called him back and chewed his a$$ for it, but it wasn't his fault, so I simply called back and asked him if it was something that could be fixed on the site. He said he would pass it along to the IT guys, and hope for the best, as it was beyond his scope to fix. 5 days later I had my replacement clutch, and a shipping label to return the first one. (he had already shipped it out the day he called me, and it was too late to tell him not to, if it was the same thing. which it was)

Quite frankly, I don't know if it got fixed or not, but not giving him an attitude about it, or sounding like I was pissed or hostile towards him from the start, probably went a long way into making a "BIG" issue, not so "BIG".

Trust me, I speak from years of experience, getting pissed off at stupid stuff. Getting all pissed off about it doesn't do you or anyone else any good. All it does is raise your blood pressure, and make you look like an a$$hole, and noone one will want to deal with you.

Just a thought.
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
oldbiker

Post by oldbiker »

About the shipping..all UPS freight goes to a central location to be redistributed.. I think UPSs is Memphis. SO even if you ship a box to your neighbor it is gonna go through Memphis. The system has worked good for years..I am old enough to remember before UPS when all we had was Postal system and they were way over worked. the Same system is used for Fedex and DPH ( i dunno other newer company). Just cause your close doesn't mean squat. and no I don't have stock in UPS :evil:
theogre5150

Post by theogre5150 »

Paul, I understand what you are saying. I simply asked him a question and he's the one that copped an attitude. I keep my temper in check when dealing with any vendors because I know that I may have to deal with them some other time. Even though I was mad, I didn't let it show in my tone of voice. I learned this through many years of being a business owner. The problem with this guy is that he didn't seem to care one way or another. He didn't even try to help. It was just a "Here's your RMA". Now what kind of crap is that. With your problem with Summit, at least that guy did his job and researched the problem and got back with you. I also realize that this person is not in charge of the website or even picking and packing the orders. But, he is customer service and I am a paying customer so he should do what he can to make the situation better, not blow me off because I called him and said I had a problem with my order.
theogre5150

re: Got stiffed by Dennis Carpenters....

Post by theogre5150 »

I want to apologize for the rant once more. I am usually not like this. My wife just had surgery and my infant son has decided that he wants to wake up at 3am everyday :cry: and is not happy unless I hold him so I have not been getting that much sleep. Shipping was not the issue on this order, just the way it was handled by DC. That just added to everything that is going on with me right now. I think I'm more frustrated than mad. I need to take a week long fishing trip or better yet, I need to go junkin'. :thup:
72stepside
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 72stepside »

There is something about gas caps. I bought a chrome one on location from a vendor at the SuperNats in 2002. It was supposed to fit but didn't. Couldn't remember the vendor (it wasn't D.C.) so I just pitched it in a box in the garage.

I guess not all gas caps are created equal.
Chris
72 F100 Stepside w/ 78 300 CID
Hedman Headers
Disc Brakes
Power Steering with 3 STILL on the tree
Comfy Crown Vic Seats

71 F250 PS, PB, AC, Auto, 390
Loooong way to go on this one!

ImageImage
ImageImage
1971fordcustom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 1971fordcustom »

I got my stuff from dc on thur. And ever thing was find but grommet was not there. No big deal what so ever. I orderd my stuff off the net on '7th and got it on the 13th. That is ok for being in arkansas. And ups is great hear I know all the drivers we have never had a bad time with them. And I did not get much vent glass seals few other thing well 183 bucks. But I LOVE NPD best shipping a great guy paul theres 2 puals at the fl one. If I need something him and his friend will go to the back and make sure the part is ok. Well I just got carpet from then firewall cover about 800$ worth of parts. And most of it is from dc. And in the long run it is cheeper to get from npd any thing over 300$ is FREE shipping Unless its over sized and its still not much like 9 someing a thing. So you get great parts and free shipping. And at dc the guy you talked to might of been having a bad day to might of been some BUTT he just got off the phone with. any ways just go to npd I give them a AAAAAA++++++++++++
Last edited by 1971fordcustom on Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.