Sending Unit Wires - Question

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Bonnie_72_F100

Sending Unit Wires - Question

Post by Bonnie_72_F100 »

I had the wise idea to remove the gas tank from my cab about a month ago. I didn't end up doing it, but in the process I disconnected the sending unit wires & all wires on top of the gas tank.

I think this reset the fuel gauge on my dash. When I first got the truck I had ~1/2 tank left and since reconnecting the wires it reads that I have a full tank. Needless to say, I think I just ran out of gas but I'm not sure b/c the gauge on dash still reads 1/2 full.

I'm about to go to the gas station & pick up some more gas. However, how do I reset the fuel gauge? Is the easiest way to put a little in the tank, drive to the gas station, fill it up, disconnect the wires & reconnect them so it reads "full" when it's actually full?

Thanks,
Cooke
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Our gauges don't "reset" The sender can be adjusted but have to be tornapart and usually not worth fixing. Are you sure you have the wires correct? The float may be stuck in there or the sender is malfunctioning in there. The power to them pulses i belive so it is taking a new reading all the time.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
Bonnie_72_F100

re: Sending Unit Wires - Question

Post by Bonnie_72_F100 »

Hm... thanks for the :2cents:

I'll fill the tank and reconnect them and see what it reads.

Thanks again,

Cooke