Painless Wiring Kit

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
Ditchdigger

Painless Wiring Kit

Post by Ditchdigger »

I'm trying to rewire my truck with a 18 circuit kit. Does anyone know what a ballast resistor does? The kit did not send one because they said some people leaves them out. Can I wire it without one? Will it hurt anything?
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Painless Wiring Kit

Post by 68F250 »

It depends, what does you ignition system consist of? distributor, coil etc.
customcrewcab
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by customcrewcab »

yea msd does not use one but mallory does. the ford duraspark has a box. are you using stock set up or an aftermartet one? i might have a mallory 460 one somewhere if your interested. i know i still have mallory for a 302. i also have a victor 460 intake and a set of alumiminum cobra jet heads but i not that broke yet to rid of them.
Jay

Post by Jay »

the msd Blaster for my 390 requires one, and came with it.
It is the ceramic thing connected to the positive lead of the coil there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ditchdigger

Post by Ditchdigger »

I'm running a stock system for now. I think I will go ahead and put one on just to be safe.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Yeah, if you have points you better run one. Ballast resistors are matched to the coil, the stock coil needs one around 1.3 - 1.4 ohms.
zakt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by zakt »

Im thinking about getting the painless wire set up also, how do you like it? How did you hook up the lights ie... tail lights, marker lights, signals....just splice into the old or?
Ditchdigger

Post by Ditchdigger »

I like it. The only problems that I have had was my son removed everything inside the cab including the harness. Everything he removed went into the trash before I received the new 18 circuit harness, which came back to BITE me. I know I told him to. We have been working on it the past two weekends and finally are getting closer.
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

Save your money on Painless..... Go with this kit.......

http://www.ezwiring.com/
How did you hook up the lights ie... tail lights, marker lights, signals....just splice into the old or?
The ez wiring kit will come with long enough leads to wire the entire truck from font bumper to rear bumper....
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: Painless Wiring Kit

Post by dcbullet »

oldschool wrote:Save your money on Painless..... Go with this kit.......

http://www.ezwiring.com/
How did you hook up the lights ie... tail lights, marker lights, signals....just splice into the old or?
The ez wiring kit will come with long enough leads to wire the entire truck from font bumper to rear bumper....
Those are universal harnesses? Honestly my brain is taxed enough just figuring out the stock harness, let alone using a univeral. If I were to go aftermarket it better replicate 95% of the stock harness.

Just my :2cents: from the electrically challenged.
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

My wire kit from EZ wire was GM color coded for my chevy.... It does not get any easier than that.. Plus if you are going to re wire you truck. You need to rewire the entire truck. Not splice into the old wires..... Doing a complete re wire is easier than most people think...........
If I were to go aftermarket it better replicate 95% of the stock harness.
That is the beauty of re wiring with the ez wire kit. The wires are labeled every 5 inches. So there is no mistaking where they go.....!!!! :D
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

Not to steal the post but The gauge panels on there are sharp as heck. That ez wiring site that is. They look very much like a F-600 panel
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)