Headlight issues.

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
morganater

Headlight issues.

Post by morganater »

When I pulled the cable from my battery when the truck was running, I blew out my headlights. I went and got some new ones (Sylvania Silverstars, highly recommended) for $50. They look just like HIDs! Anyways, last night after I installed them, they would come onto lowbeams well, but when I clicked the high swtich, they would go out completely. So I drove with lowbeams, no big deal. This morning (truck starts just perfect in 15 below :D ) I go out start the truck and after a bit leave, switching the high beam switch, and the lights went out. But when I tried to switch the highs off, and go back to lowbeams... still had no lights. I was wondering if anyone had an idea what is wrong here. I hope i didn't burn up a set of $50 headlights.
1969 f100 swb ranger 460 - parting out
1968 f100 swb 429 - decking out
94 Jeep I6 Back-up vehicle
reppin' AK
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Headlight issues.

Post by heep70 »

test the HI/LOW switch. Mine used to sometimes not let the brights come on. Ended up being dirty connections at the switch. Sounds like your switch is bad all together. That my guess. :hmm:
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
morganater

Post by morganater »

the floor switch? is there any reason why that would cause lights to now work alltogether?
reppin' AK
Jobless

Post by Jobless »

I had the same problem but with different lights. One thing to check is the plastic connector that houses the electrical connections/wires that plug into the light. They sometimes have tendency, as they get old, to push out of the housing and not make proper contact.

Also check the ground on the harness, maybe disconnect it clean it all up with some sandpaper and apply some dielectric grease.

I also decided to just go ahead and replace both switches too
Last edited by Jobless on Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

It's the dimmer switch, all the power goes thru it and depending on the position, sends it to the low or high beams.

Try stomping on it a zillion times, sometimes that fixes it for the short term.

You can buy a new replacement switch from NAPA for less than $10.
Last edited by 68F250 on Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morganater

Post by morganater »

Anyone know the size of the bolts for the floorswitch off their head?, its like 10 below here I dont feel like playing games as the truck im gunna get the the part offa is off in the woods.
reppin' AK
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

First only the Hi beams then both Hi and Low. You did say both are now not working alltogether after just the Hi beams went out?

Yes. I would start there with a meter.

It may have cooked the main switch also.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
morganater

Re: re: Headlight issues.

Post by morganater »

68F250 wrote: Try stomping on it a zillion times, sometimes that fixes it for the short term.
Alright I think i'll go replace that. LOL, I already tried the stomping method... lol
reppin' AK
morganater

Post by morganater »

I highly doubt main switch. blinkers, parking lights, and tails all still work
reppin' AK
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

morganater wrote:Anyone know the size of the bolts for the floorswitch off their head?, its like 10 below here I dont feel like playing games as the truck im gunna get the the part offa is off in the woods.
You should know those bolts just by sight :nono: jk :D What I usually do in situations like that is take my whole socket set with me....and sometimes more than I'd ever need cause Its better to not need it and have it than not have it and need it.
lobuck76

Post by lobuck76 »

The dimmer switch will probabley be hot to the touch after you turn the lights on, indicating corroded up(green) connections.
'71 F-100
morganater

Post by morganater »

Yeah, my guess on the bolt size was correct. sun is JUST setting right now and as of now it is -2F. I replaced the dimmer switch, and as i was taking the old one out it fell into two greasy unfixable pieces. Didn't fix the prob, so I plugged in a crappy bulb that was from my friends snowmachine into the headlight plug. IT worked. Sun sets at like 530 now, so I didnt get a chance to run to the store to exchange the lights :x . I dont understand how two bulbs could burn out in one day (like 30 mins of use) but its the only explanation?
reppin' AK
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

A bit of hindsight for you. Don't disconnect the battery with the engine running. This is a common practice that may have worked with the old 25 amp (on a good day) generators, but should be put to rest. If you rev the engine even slightly with no battery in the system you can zap 18 volts or more through the system as the voltage regulator will go full tilt boogey with no battery voltage to read. (Didn't we already tell you this in the other thread)
I have to agree that 95% of the time headlight issues are in the dimmer. Often the plug will be half melted and need replaced too. Bolt heads are usually 3/8.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
morganater

Post by morganater »

bolt heads were 5/16.. big deal haha i dont know why i asked even. I know not to take off a battery cable now. The headlights have been toast ever since that thread when I posted they were. The dimmer didn't fix the problem. The headlights burned up and acted twitchy when i switched on/off the old dimmer switch. Is there a possibility that the dimmer switch that was crappy and rusty and falling apart could have burned out my headlights, or a possibility the headlights are too powerful and/or need a relay for more juice?
reppin' AK
Jobless

Post by Jobless »

morganater wrote:bolt heads were 5/16.. big deal haha i dont know why i asked even. I know not to take off a battery cable now. The headlights have been toast ever since that thread when I posted they were. The dimmer didn't fix the problem. The headlights burned up and acted twitchy when i switched on/off the old dimmer switch. Is there a possibility that the dimmer switch that was crappy and rusty and falling apart could have burned out my headlights, or a possibility the headlights are too powerful and/or need a relay for more juice?

Is there a fuse :?