Fuel Gauge?

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
ttyR2

re: Fuel Gauge?

Post by ttyR2 »

Where is the regulator for the guage cluster located?
Jeremy
1971 Ford F250 CS, SC, 2X4, 390, C6
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Crazy_B

Post by Crazy_B »

The instrument cluster voltage regulator is adjustable, and the gas gauge is the indicator. If the gas gauge reads low, all the gauges are reading low.
You need to fill the gas tank and turn the small screw on the regulator until the gas gauge reads full. The voltage regulator grounds thru its base, so if you take it out to adjust it you need to ground it or put it back in to see if the adjustment is correct. An old Ford mechanic taught me this.
Is this the same case for a 68. My gas gauge reads an eighth of a tank high when it is bone dry.
I've always been crazy but it keeps me from going insane.
When life gets you down remember one thing. Its only a Highway so pull your Hat down tight and just Ledoux it.
greenbank

Post by greenbank »

I'd like to know, too. Though I think I have a switch problem, as I can't get a reading at all if I flip the switch, until a day later when it starts working again. :hmm: Well, since I've only had the truck two days, maybe I'm not so sure on that.
1968 F250 Ranger Camper Special
-- 360, AT, PS, PB, disks
-- See Goldie
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Uhm, maybe you only have 3/4 tank of fuel in each one. :oops: :oops:
I say it's time to get familiar with the ohm meter and start checking the system from one end to the other.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

The switch can be the flakiest part of the dual tank system. Try spraying some contact cleaner in the cracks and flip it back and forth a bunch of times.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
Jondon

Post by Jondon »

good tid-bit of info QC.

Thanks,
John
Last edited by Jondon on Sun May 29, 2005 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Ok, here is a good one for you guys to ponder.:hmm: All the wiring in my truck was "re-arranged" by the previous owner. My fuel gage reads 1/8 tank when full and just under full when empty. :lol:

Thanks
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Hmmm....off the top of my head I'd say either a couple of wires got switched around or you don't have a stock Ford sending unit. The Ford sending unit isn't the same as other brands, in regards to the ohm-reading range. The sending unit head is pretty much standard for most makes, so it wouldn't be hard to install a sending unit from a different vehicle, but the readings would be different.

For example, pre-1989 Fords & most Chryslers used a 73-10 Ohms sending unit. But most pre-1965 GM cars have a 0-30 Ohms sending unit. I've never personally tried hooking one of these up to see how it would react, but I'd imagine it might be similar to what you're describing. Just take a look at the top of the sending unit while it's installed and see if there's a Ford part number stamped into the head, like this:

http://www.fordification.com/board/send ... al-aux.jpg

These are 25-gallon auxiliary tank units, but the number should still be stamped on the head like what is pictured. If it IS a Ford PN, than it's time to start tracing some wires.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Thank for the info. The sending unit does look new and i am not sure if it is wired backwards or not. The way the previous owner did things, i am suprised this truck is still allive. :lol: I will check it out.

By the way, THANKS FOR THE SITE. This is an awesome bunch of poeple. :clap:
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

ok, now i am really bewildered :lol: . Just looked at my sending unit and it looks nothing like what you show in the picture. And it has 3 sets of numbers on it. They are 7034597, MS-500040-5, 57733. Also it has only one wire hook up and the ground goes to the base.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

That's definitely an aftermarket replacement....not a Ford part.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Could also be the float i have had several get holes and let fuel in then the get wieghed down and read off. Wonder if my dash voltage reg is off?
How is it exactly adjusted what am i looking for?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com