identifying rear end

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

F-100Ranger

identifying rear end

Post by F-100Ranger »

I got the rear end off, but there's no tag and I can't see any number stamped on the right side. Can anyone tell me exactly where to look for any identification? I don't trust the id plate on the body since there seems to be so many changes on this truck.
magnethead

re: identifying rear end

Post by magnethead »

well to my knowledge, it's either a 8.8 or 9".... I'm willing to guess 8.8
DuckRyder

Re: re: identifying rear end

Post by DuckRyder »

magnethead wrote:well to my knowledge, it's either a 8.8 or 9".... I'm willing to guess 8.8
If it is a 1967-72 it is not an 8.8 unless someone put an awful lot of effort into it.

In an F-100 it is almost certainly a 9", but it could be a Dana too.

Either one should have a metal tag bolted under one of the third member (chunk) nuts. (Or rear cover bolts if a Dana) If the tag is gone :dk: count teeth...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yeah, it definitely will not be anything other than a Dana 60 or a Ford 9". Take a look to see whether it's got a removeable rear cover (Dana) or a drop-out pumpkin (from the front):

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
magnethead

Post by magnethead »

isn't dana axle corperation part of Diamler-Chrysler?

Now i know of dana's being in chevy, GMC, ford, and dodge trucks. Haven't climbed under a toyota or nissan yet, they prolly got dana's too.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Dana 60's were the differential of choice back in the musclecar era in the Mopar camps...if you had musclecar with a big engine, you got a Dana. But AFAIK that's their only connection.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
F-100Ranger

Post by F-100Ranger »

A lot of good history here. But all the good info here and in past posts still doesn't help me fully identify the rear end. According to Keith's above post it's a 9". So now for the ratio...

I rotated a brake drum to see how many times the universal would turn. Lookin at it like a clock the universal turned around once and then again to the 8 o'clock position. Doesn't seem enough. How do I read that anyone?
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Some thing did not work out. :hmm:

You have to hold the free axle if it is an open diff.

As you may know, LSD should lock the axels together and they will rotate in the same direction, an open will rotate opposite directions.

The most accurate way to ID, it is to pull the axles, pull the chunk, and count the teeth on the ring and pinion.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
F-100Ranger

Post by F-100Ranger »

Well, I kept the left wheel side from rotating, but I still get the same revs on the universal. Now I know why my gas milage was so good. No matter what, I've dropped the axle off the frame and am pulling the brake lines and wiring off too.

Now if I can just flip the frame without killing myself I'm going to scrape the grease and grime off the frame, hit the car wash and onto the blaster.

I guess I should go to the body and paint forum to ask a question about painting the frame.

Got to get a digital camera so I can start posting some pictures.