Question about one piece drive shafts

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

widegauge

Question about one piece drive shafts

Post by widegauge »

Does any one know how far a one piece drive shaft needs to slip in and out of a auto tranny, you know for suspension travel and all. trying to figure out how long of a drive shaft I need for a 460/c-6 swap in a short bed 2wd. found a salvage yard with tons of drive shafts so I was just going to measure them and find one the right length.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

not knowing what your yoke size that slips into the tranny is a pain, but to measure a drive shaft you are suppose to measure from center of ujoint to center of ujoint. and then add the yoke for the front. so if anyone would have a yoke laying around he needs this measurement to get the right shaft.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Question about one piece drive shafts

Post by FORDification »

Most people who need to get a custom driveshaft made will slip the yoke into the end of the transmission until it bottoms out, pull it back out between 3/4" to 1", and then measure from the center of the yoke's U-joint cup to the center of the U-joint cup on the rearend...and then get the driveshaft made to that measurement. Keep in mind that the vehicle needs to be on the ground as it would normally sit with the suspension compressed...you can't have the back end lifted up in the air with a jack.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
widegauge

Post by widegauge »

so from the truck setting at normal ride hight to being completely bottomed out is only 1" of slip yoke travel? seems like it would go alot farther then that. but that is another problem I had a 360/390 with a auto behind it when I got the truck but I sold some of the parts of the motor and the tranny to recupe some of the money of the truck becouse I knew that I was going to put a big block in it. so when I went and got the c-6 I didnt get a slip yoke.
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

Don't mean to sound doom and gloom but it's highly unlikely you'll easily find a driveshaft that works as is, due to your combination. Don't think there were to many shortbed trucks with 460s in them, and their accompanying C6 trannys. Very likely you'll need to get one made, in which case you measure from the end of the tailshaft on the tranny, to the center of the yoke on the rear axle. If you can find one that's too long, then your in business, as it's simple to get one cut down to length.

Find a place that builds custom drivelines, and they'll know how to build it, including the proper yoke/length. Probably be a bit pricy, but it will be completely new with no seal grooves on the yoke, new u-joints, and be balanced as well.
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: re: Question about one piece drive shafts

Post by FORDification »

widegauge wrote:so from the truck setting at normal ride hight to being completely bottomed out is only 1" of slip yoke travel? seems like it would go alot farther then that. ...
That's correct....you never need more than 1" of travel on the yoke. By the time the up/down suspension motion is transferred to an in/out lateral motion, the amount of travel is pretty small actually, because the suspension travels in an arc (more or less).
Last edited by FORDification on Mon May 29, 2006 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
widegauge

Post by widegauge »

wow I would have never thought that...thats pretty cool, thanks.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

There's actually more driveline "stretch" when the suspension is fully drooped, say when you're airborne or on a chassis lift.

I seem to recall you need at least 1 inch of spline engagement or else the driveshaft will vibrate. Good rule of thumb is insert splines until they bottom-out and then pull it out 3/4 to 1 inch. This is with the vehicle on the ground.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
71F100FE

Post by 71F100FE »

I went thru this with my Mustang.

The Max amount I would pull out the yoke is 1", preferably 3/4. After you take your measurements be sure to deliver the yoke, U-joints and all to the balancer. That is the best way to get a good balance.

Good luck, Ric.
Ric Tucker
71' F100 Sport Custom
66' F250 Camper Special