Flareside owners, hows your tail lights, brake lights?

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Flareside owners, hows your tail lights, brake lights?

Post by jzjames »

One thing Ive noticed on the outboard tail lights on these flaresides is the problem of getting a good ground for the electrical. Over the years Ive had trouble when a good ground is lost, and the lights all start going haywire. Ive seen heavy wires soldered to the tail light housings, and I assume the ground is supposed to be just from the bolting of the tail light to the box (via the mounting bracket). Ive just redone the ground wire for the third time. What is your experience and how have you solved it?
1968flareside
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1968flareside »

Since installing my Painless harness, I haven't had any problems with this. No, the grounds aren't included. I did make sure to have a good ground from Engine to frame and frame to body. My ground for the rear lights is mounted on the rear bumper, bottom. I can try and take a pic for you if you want to see it.
1968 F-100 Flareside
1999 F-150 XLT 4X4
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10023

:fte: and :fr: DON'T FORGET!!
TheEskimo
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TheEskimo »

I clean my connections about every winter with an alcohol wipe and/or a soft wire brush to keep the connections clean, but I may just add a ground wire soon.
-Jason
1972 F250 Camper Special 360ci
1973 F100 Custom 390ci
1985 Thinderbird 302ci (DD)
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Flareside owners, hows your tail lights, brake lights?

Post by hardtailjohn »

They're notorious for a bad ground... step on the brake and one brake light will light, the other side will go out... :lol: I think it's something that Ford tried to engineer into all their pickups... I wound up running a separate ground direct to the frame, and installing new light housings..... end of problem...for now :hmm:
JH
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
hutch1973

re: Flareside owners, hows your tail lights, brake lights?

Post by hutch1973 »

I have one side dimmer then the other, both with new lights, but I haven't really tracked it down yet. I'm more annoyed with the locations of the lights, they are in the way when the gate is down and you're hauling something. I'm keeping an eye out for someone who's done something different with the lights (not a roll pan) for options.
Bumpless for now...