What are the differences between a T18 and T19 transmission

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Rick

What are the differences between a T18 and T19 transmission

Post by Rick »

I am going to change my 303 three for a four speed. But have heard that there are differences between the T18 and the T19. Which one would be best? This will be an occasionally driven show/ week-end cruiser truck. No speed shifting to racing, just purely pleasure driving, I just like the look of the big old four speed shifter in the cab. Looks like a TRUCK !!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: What are the differences between a T18 and T19 transmiss

Post by FORDification »

There are some differences in the internal shifter setup, but the main difference is that the T-19s have a sychronized first gear, whereas the T-18s do not. The T-19's first gear ratio is also a little lower, but not enough to really be noticeable. Most people rarely used 1st gear anyway. For all general purposes however, they're virtually identical, so I don't think it really matters which you choose for use in a daily driver.

http://www.fordification.com/transmissions-manual.htm
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

I use 1st. on our SoCal freeway's! Walking speed is normal. :)

If you allready have a 3spd, you'll like a 4spd.
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

that creeper gear is great for loading haybales :lol: jd
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
turbocharged400sbc

Re: re: What are the differences between a T18 and T19 trans

Post by turbocharged400sbc »

binder56jd wrote:that creeper gear is great for loading haybales :lol: jd
my gramps said that they used to fire up the ford put er in granny with the steering wheel bungied and let it drive itself while they (him and my father) would load the bed/trailer while it putted along

the only reason that truck died was the White tractor "accidently" rolled over it...i am still trying to hear the details on this one...but my gramps and dad arent letting me know....i'm thinking it was a mistake on both of their parts...ahhh the Williams' stubborn pride surfaces yet again... (i only recently told my pop's how i REALLY got the RX7 stuck in 3&4th gears at the same time (i used to do 3 gear burnouts leaving school...that day i had my girlfriend in the car....i guess i got a little enthusiastic with the shiftin and all (that and she was soon gonna be on my shifter) welp...i kinda ruined that day...blueballs and i had to tell my dad i broke the trans (after we pushed it 8 blocks from the burnout marks lol)

ahhh youth...whats that saying? "children are revenge fer what you did to your parents" I'm screwed.... :lol:
1994 Olds 442 (425 cid-4 wheel drive-2 V6's) http://www.cardomain.com/id/94twinengine442 13.81 @ 98.2 MPH 1.9s 60's
68 F250 Camper Special 390FE/NP435/3.73D60
soon: 79 F350 disk brakes w/ 3.55 D60, pneumatic, 1750w AC inverter, Vector 1600w lightbar, 200A 3g alt, all a mobile gearhead needs
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

that's how we did it! :thup:
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli