Need a little more help with the f600 cluster please.

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
nelson3

Need a little more help with the f600 cluster please.

Post by nelson3 »

ive been told that most people take the old gauges out of the 600 clusters and just buy new gauges and use the new sending units.but how do they fit into the cluster?ive never fooled with any other than the type thats full enclosed and mount from the outside.these puppies mount on the cluster from the back and dont have glass on front.well anyway someone please educate me on this.and while your at it where is the best or should i say best for the buck gauges sold at?just for info im using the speedo out of the 67 and want to go new on the rest.while im at it what is the ball or gear or what ever on the back of my cluster?one had it but one did not it just screws out of the speedo just like the cable does.it has a little small square stock about 2 inches long that turns the cable.it also has a small terminal on the top for 1 wire i dont have a clue.it you guys dont know ill try and take a picture of it and post im curious! thanks for your help and patience!!bruce
1970 ranger
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Need a little more help with the f600 cluster please.

Post by FORDification »

In regards to the gauges, it's either all or nothing. You have to either use all the factory gauges or none of them....well, unless you wanted to rig up some sort of mounting on the back of the panel to hold the gauges up against the front panel. Otherwise, you just remove the entire rear pod and install standard surface-mount gauges for all instruments...including the speedo.

From your description, it sounds like a speed sensor, usually used with emission controls. You don't need it.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
nelson3

Post by nelson3 »

keith, what did you say you were going to do with your truck cluster?what did you mean by get all new guages,do you mean they have to be for a f600 to fit if thats the case the ones that come with it look ok but i dont know.if i understand this right you cant put all new gauges unless you devise a way to affix them to the cluster right?i was just basing my decision on one of your previous post when you said get all new gauges or did you mean get the exact gauges that are already in it so ill have the sending units?are you keeping your 67 speedo? thanks bruce
1970 ranger
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

You can either use ALL the stock gauges (the ones that came with the F600 panel from the factory) or you can remove ALL the stock F600 gauges and that rear pod and replace with regular surface-mount aftermarket gauges, like from Autometer or Stewart Warner. You cannot keep the stock F600 speedometer and use aftermarket gauges for the others, because you will have no way of holding the gauges up against the backside of the panel.

I plan on just using all the stock F600 gauges. However, I DO prefer not having the gauge bezel on the outside of the panel, which would happen if you replaced the stock gauges with aftermarket surface-mounts. Therefore, I'm toying around with the idea of doing some modifications to the rear pod which will allow me to use it to hold the aftermarket gauges up against the back of the panel.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
nelson3

Post by nelson3 »

i think i got it now,finally!thanks for your patience.thats what ive been needing to know was how to fix them from the rear and keep the speedo.im going to do it someway.let me bother you just one more time.the original dash in my 70 has 2 needles and 2 lights so if im rite i can use the same sending unit for fuel,oil,temp but have to work on the amp because of the shunt deal. right???
1970 ranger
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

The idiot light sending units are different from the gauge-type sending units. You will have to replace those to use the gauges. As for the ammeter, if you intend to use the factory F600 ammeter, then yes you'll have to do some work on the wiring, since your harness won't have the shunt. If you're going with aftermarket gauges, then just get a voltmeter instead of the ammeter (it's much more accurate anyway) and you won't have to mess with the wiring...no shunt required.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
nelson3

Post by nelson3 »

so i just need to get the correct sending unit for MY truck and it will hook rite up?just a thought,those bezels on the aftermarket gauges wont they snap off or is that just wishful thinking? thanks for your help keith,i think well get to know one another real good before i get this truck comepleted!!
1970 ranger