Indy Mustang

Tell us your good and/or bad experiences

Moderator: FORDification

junkyardjeff

Re: Indy Mustang

Post by junkyardjeff »

Its apart and no smoking gun on what is wrong except for I know its not the cam I ordered,I was expecting to see it off a tooth or so to explain the low vacumn but its getting put back togather as a 87 HO 351 from a truck with the exception of a better intake.
junkyardjeff

Post by junkyardjeff »

The new cam did not survive break in so I installed a used stock cam and it seems like its much better,had four trans behind that engine and none shifted into third good but after the cam change the trans is shifting much better and the low end torque has improved. Engine is a little noisy and always has been so quality of the rebuild is questionable but has survived this long and will have to make one more trip to Florida and then it will get a Y block again and I will tear into it to see just what was done or not done to it.
sparky72

Post by sparky72 »

Kudos for updating this thread for so long. It’s sadly rare for someone to do that. :thup:
Taylor
1972 F250 Ranger XLT 2wd / 8100 GVW / 390 / T18 / 3.73 D60
junkyardjeff

Post by junkyardjeff »

From what I have read I must of been the only one to have one of his engines last this long,I specified a low end torque engine and did not get what I ordered. It did run ok and was dependable but that cam caused third gear shifting issues from day one and would not run its best in the RPM range I was driving it,seems much better now and was suprised it had E7 heads on it and not some late 70s smog heads.
junkyardjeff

Post by junkyardjeff »

Now that it has a stock cam it runs good but have everything to put a Y block in it so it will most likely go in a 65 Galaxie.