FE c-6 to 302 c-6

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Ranger xlt

FE c-6 to 302 c-6

Post by Ranger xlt »

Hi guy's im new here. I have a 1970 f100 long bed it has a 360 with c-6 trans. I would like to swap the 360 c-6 to a 302 c-6. The FE c-6 has the two piece drive shaft. What c-6 will work with this swap. I have 302 engine stands and a low mileage mustang gt 5.0 I changed the oil pan and timing cover. There's a salvage yard near me with a few 78-79 f100's I think there 302 or 351w. Will those work. Also did ford go to a 1 piece drive shaft later on. I can't find any info or picture's of the truck 302 c-6. Thanks for your help.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: FE c-6 to 302 c-6

Post by basketcase0302 »

"Ranger xlt"]Hi guy's im new here. I have a 1970 f100 long bed it has a 360 with c-6 trans. I would like to swap the 360 c-6 to a 302 c-6. The FE c-6 has the two piece drive shaft. What c-6 will work with this swap. I have 302 engine stands and a low mileage mustang gt 5.0 I changed the oil pan and timing cover. There's a salvage yard near me with a few 78-79 f100's I think there 302 or 351w. Will those work. Also did ford go to a 1 piece drive shaft later on. I can't find any info or picture's of the truck 302 c-6. Thanks for your help.
I did this exact swap, and documented it over the course very well here with HUNDREDS OF PICTURES THAT PHOTOBUCKET 'HARVESTED" FROM ME!
I can answer about any question about the swap but refuse to pay for a photo image hosting, (or to trust another photo hosting site) with my images anymore.

Yes your driveline will require some work. I had to move the tranny crossmember / have one new driveshaft made (it was 1/2 ton anyway). Moving the crossmember is one of the toughest parts as the crossmember "braces" that are mounted to the frame have steel rivets that have to be torched / drilled /grinded so you can move the crossmember. I can't really help you with the driveshaft length (maybe there is a member here who has done the same swap on the F-100) as mine was a F-350 with a two piece driveshaft.
I can also email images that might help if you'd like-shoot me a PM with an address if you want.
I gained 4 MPG with this swap and never looked back. :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

I'm going to be picking your brains again soon, Jeff. I'm finding parts for my 351W/C6 swap faster than I expected so hopefully it won't be long before we're ready to switch motors. I'm not really pushed for time as the 352 still moves the old girl nicely, but I don't want it dragging on too long because I need the space that the parts are taking up.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Help in any way I can Tim, and I don't blame you run the 352 as long...as you can.
Get sick to my stomach every time I come here-knowing I spent some 7 years documenting my build and photobucket erased it all with the swipe of a pen in 5 seconds. :cuss:
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

I reread most of your build again last night, Jeff. Even without pictures, it's still an invaluable guide to doing an FE to small block swap. Thanks for taking the time to document it.

I've been lucky so far and found most of the major parts I planned on using pretty cheap. I'm shooting for a budget (on the motor and trans anyway) of about a grand, and I'm doing pretty good so far. I'll have a solid 352/C6 up for sale when it's done to help recoup some of my costs too. My son's getting excited as this will be his first build from the block up.

Ranger xlt - sorry to hijack your thread for a while there. Good luck with your swap. Let us know how it's going :thup:
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
Ranger xlt

Post by Ranger xlt »

Thanks Basketcase for getting back to me. I'll look under the truck when the weather gets a little better and check out the cross member. We had big storm come through here in Pa. I called a local trans shop about what trans to look for. Told him mine has the bolt on yoke. He said to get a small block c6 and he can change the output shaft and tail housing. Now my question is now that the trans has be modified and is in the same location as the FE will the engine stands allow me to bolt up the 302. or will there be a gap between them. Thanks for your help Larry
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"Ranger xlt"]Thanks Basketcase for getting back to me. I'll look under the truck when the weather gets a little better and check out the cross member. We had big storm come through here in Pa. I called a local trans shop about what trans to look for. Told him mine has the bolt on yoke. He said to get a small block c6 and he can change the output shaft and tail housing. Now my question is now that the trans has be modified and is in the same location as the FE will the engine stands allow me to bolt up the 302. or will there be a gap between them. Thanks for your help Larry
Larry,

You'll have to change the engine stands anyway when going from FE to SBF. And yes your tranny shop is right as they make different output shafts, (and the corresponding tail sections) for the C-6.
Ya'll hang on up there as I see where another one is hitting tonight with more snow forecast?! :eek:
This explains the engine stands pretty good:

http://www.fordification.com/tech/engine-perches.htm

And forgive my manners...
:wel: to Fordification.
Please stop by the welcome mat and say i to the gang when you get a second. :hi:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Ranger xlt

Post by Ranger xlt »

Ok that sounds good. I have a pair of small block engine stands. With the the small lock c6 installed with the bolt on yoke,and the small block stands installed will the engine bolt up. I don't want to do the rebuild on the trans and find out the engine won't line up. Also can i just use the 1970 302 engine mounts or do i need to use something different. I'm getting read for this new storm there saying we could get about 12" of wet snow. I hope the snow blowers will move it. I'm still recovering from a storm a few weeks back. Thanks again for your help. Larry