Project 'Smokey' - '72 Ranger XLT

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Project 'Smokey' - '72 Ranger XLT

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Bullitt, congratulations.
You sure have a NICE looking truck.
I am happy too that you have it home.
Hope you can sleep good now.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Oh boy this is going to look good... 8)
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Steve I just noticed that your glass isn't in, I thought that's was were it was going? :nono:
Just so you know I had the windshield, backslider and seals, then got the guy from Crystal glass to install both for $90 but I had to help him.
They have the windshield for $127 with top green tint though.
1968 Mercury M250 Camper Special
FE-390,570CFM 4bbl, C6 Automatic, PS, PB front disk.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
:drive:Willy
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Bloody cold today in Alberta!! -20 deg C today and will get minus 30’s overnight. Good amount of snow too, so will fire up the JD snowblower later today.

Phoned for a quote yesterday, and will get the glass shop to come to the house. The truck is inside where it’s bone dry, so my Ford Edge can stay outside for a while (although it was so cold this morning that my window scraper snapped in half :eek:

I was looking at my stainless trim, and it needs a polish, particlarly the rear, as it was scorched from the fire Smokey was in (the rear window seal must have been on fire, as about 20% of it was charcoal). I ordered a polisher which should be here early this week, but might tackle some small pieces with the Dremel. Any advice on stainless polishing is welcome.

Starter ordered from NAPA for Monday, I’ll get a crash course in starter replacement. I hear the 3rd bolt is a tough go.
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Steve to polish my stainless and chrome I use a buffer with the 4 different jewelers polishing compounds black, brown, green and for stainless I use the white. This is the buffer I have that works really well.
20180203_152644.jpg
Also if you need stainless for your windshield I have 2 sets that I won't be using. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

cdnwillyg wrote:Steve to polish my stainless and chrome I use a buffer with the 4 different jewelers polishing compounds black, brown, green and for stainless I use the white. This is the buffer I have that works really well.

Also if you need stainless for your windshield I have 2 sets that I won't be using. :D
Thanks for the offer Willy, but I have a decent original set from this old girl - just needs a spitshine! That's a pretty awesome polisher you have...I'm just going for the cheaper $100 unit from KMS tools for now.
Steve F.
8)
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Well, it appears I have a bit of mechanical ability left in me:

Success! The old girl turns over and fires up under her own power! :D
Last edited by Bullitt74 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F.
8)
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Bullitt74 wrote:
cdnwillyg wrote:Steve to polish my stainless and chrome I use a buffer with the 4 different jewelers polishing compounds black, brown, green and for stainless I use the white. This is the buffer I have that works really well.

Thanks for the offer Willy, but I have a decent original set from this old girl - just needs a spitshine! That's a pretty awesome polisher you have...I'm just going for the cheaper $100 unit from KMS tools for now.
Steve it's not the size of the tool it's how one uses it! :wink:
So what is the plan on your truck for putting her back together? Timeline...done by spring?
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Spring certainly seems reasonable, but as you know, “spring” is a very loose timeline for Alberta :lol:

It depends how fussy I get, and if I decide to do something silly like fuel injection or added A/C. Have to stick with the goal, keep it simple and get her back on the road...
Steve F.
8)
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Bullitt74 wrote:Spring certainly seems reasonable, but as you know, “spring” is a very loose timeline for Alberta :lol:

It depends how fussy I get, and if I decide to do something silly like fuel injection or added A/C. Have to stick with the goal, keep it simple and get her back on the road...

Stay after it will be awesome to get it on the road!! :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Bullitt74 wrote:Spring certainly seems reasonable, but as you know, “spring” is a very loose timeline for Alberta :lol:

I had the same problem of where to take it and what not to do. In the end I came to the conclusion to get it completely assembled, running,stopping and steering on its own. My truck is just a project for the winter, not something I will keep so it maybe different than what you are doing in a keeper.
You can always go back and change stuff! 8)
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Seats. I'm obsessed with the variety of options, and I think after doing some test fitting I have it worked out. The contenders:

a) Found some Cougar (Mustang) buckets, which I would use the TMI foam and skins to look pretty. I was thinking of the Sport II seats with the 65 Mustang Pony upholstery.

b) The '95 F150 highbacks that I had re-upholstered about 8 months ago. Problem is, the upholsterer and I had some creative differences, and I ended up with a product I'm not entirely happy with. :o

Now to the pictures:

'67 Cougar XR7 buckets that I picked up last night.

Mounted on the bucket brackets that are made available thanks to this site (I bought 'em, not handy enough to make 'em)...Image

Not bad, right? They are very comfortable despite the 50 year old foam and leather upholstery. Problems are: (1) no headrests (not a huge concern, but I have small kids and would hate to encounter a disabling injury), and (2) I need seating for 2 kids, as they are both going to want to go with my on trips and errands. So back to the F150 buckets with the centre jumpseat:

Now to the high backs. I was pleasantly surprised how well they seem to fit. This seat is designed for the small space in the '93-95 'regular' cab. Look how the contour of the seat back follows the back of the cab...nearly perfect. :thup:

The seat base is going to take some fabrication. I'm thinking of zipping my old seat brackets off the original bench, and welding them up. This would mean 4-bolts holding this unit down on each side

This seat and base came out of a single (regular) cab '95 F150, which confuses me, as we're told that the brackets/seats are a direct bolt-in for those years. Does this mean that some 93-95 F150's have a different floor? Or do they have some kind of adapter I need to get my hands on?? ImageImage

The angle/incline looks about right here:

Again, don't like the pleat job here, but if I don't like it in a year, can get the fronts redone again...Image

2-3 fingers between my thigh and the massive original 16.5" diameter steering wheel (I'll be using a 15" wood wheel)Image

Center of seat lines up with the centre of the steering wheel:Image

Got some headroom to spare, even after the headliner goes in (my beard needs a trim too)Image

The view from the driver's seat looks about right too :D

So I'm leaning toward the '95 F150 seats...the pros just outweigh the cons. Next up, will have to figure away to mount that seat base in... :?
Steve F.
8)
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Also kept busy this weekend installing a few shiny things:

Wasn't sure how these reproduction pieces were going to fit, based on the hardware provided:Image

Always a bit unnerving reaming out holes that filled with paint on brand new paint:Image

Turned out great, the hardware provided sucked it to the body nicely.Image
Steve F.
8)
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Nice!

I like the Cougar seats.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Steve, I'm with you and use the f150 seats, like you said in the end if you don't like em redo them or use something else! :thup: For brackets if the height is right I would just build a plate that matches up with the cab holes and weld studs to it that match the holes in the seat rails..very simple fix and only the height of the plate difference from what you have now. :2cents:
Hey you are a head of me already putting on the bling, nice looking stuff....all new I take it. :wink:
Thanks for the pics, nice to see the truck coming together and way more enjoyable to read too!
Keep it coming!