Crunch in Steering Column

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

lloyd70cs

Crunch in Steering Column

Post by lloyd70cs »

Hi everyone.

Anyone ever have a crunch sound from their steering column (manual steering) when turning the wheel. Its been doing this for a while. Just had the cab mounts done last week. Also electrical is going in places probably related to the steering column; the horn works intermittently, left turn indicator on console stays on (doesnt flash, just solid)
:cry: :cry:
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Crunch in Steering Column

Post by basketcase0302 »

"lloyd70cs"]Hi everyone.

Anyone ever have a crunch sound from their steering column (manual steering) when turning the wheel. Its been doing this for a while. Just had the cab mounts done last week. Also electrical is going in places probably related to the steering column; the horn works intermittently, left turn indicator on console stays on (doesnt flash, just solid)
:cry: :cry:
Probably going to be the upper column bearing which is housed in the shift collar-and the turn signal switch as well. Once the upper bearing starts to give the wobble you've described this lets the plastic switch to start to create issues. What year truck are you working on as both the switch and I also believe the upper bearings are specific to whatever year the truck is.
Try NPD for both these parts and plan an entire day to be safe to install the bearing and turn signal switch to be safe:
https://www.npdlink.com/store/catalog/1 ... 000-1.html

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
lloyd70cs

Post by lloyd70cs »

Thanks Jeff,

I believe its actually the lower bearing (possibly as well or on its own> i was looking up schematics and noticed the lower bearing retainer which may be missing from my steering shaft. The lower bearing is definitely slipped down the shaft. This has probably put stress on the upper bearing and tss which is why i'm getting the faulty lights and other crunch sound. Will try and post a picture in daylight.

Oh, and its a 1970 F250 CS 4 by 2
71Fe2O3

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

Either way you will have to take the column out and take it apart. You might as well take care of both. If you have a column shifter (3 on the tree) take care of all of that as well. The horn contacts generally crumble when you remove them, so plan on replacing them. You can find most if not all parts you will need at Dennis Carpenter. There are several threads here if you need help. The repair is pretty straightforward so long as the steering shaft is not damaged-they are difficult to find and likely to be pretty expensive.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
lloyd70cs

Post by lloyd70cs »

Alternatively this weekend I'm getting a front end disc brake set up off a 78 or 79 and the guy still has the steering components too so could I switch to ps relatively simply? I see some people have to notch out their frame a little (i'm not a 4 by 4, but am 4 speed on the floor).

Lloyd
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Read this and see if it's within your grasp. http://www.fordification.com/tech/powersteering.htm
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"lloyd70cs"]Alternatively this weekend I'm getting a front end disc brake set up off a 78 or 79 and the guy still has the steering components too so could I switch to ps relatively simply? I see some people have to notch out their frame a little (i'm not a 4 by 4, but am 4 speed on the floor).
Lloyd
The 78' or 79' should have the Saginaw pump and steering box on it-grab it and the column as well.
You'll be one huge step ahead into making your bump steer like a Lincoln. :drive:
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
lloyd70cs

Post by lloyd70cs »

thanks. grabbed the power steering pump and box but not the column. Will it not work with my column? also picked up all parts for front disc conversion including pedal and booster
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"lloyd70cs"]thanks. grabbed the power steering pump and box but not the column. Will it not work with my column? also picked up all parts for front disc conversion including pedal and booster
You would have to shorten the steering shaft, (a lot of work requiring a machine shop).
You should really read the tech article on the swap that Randy posted above.

Was the 78' or 79' donor truck also a floor shift? If not your gonna have some issues using the brake pedal as well as it is wider where it bolts to the firewall bracket under the dash.
Please take some time to read about the link below pedals to understand what your up against:

http://www.fordification.com/tech/clutc ... ackets.htm
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4