Sourcing front drum rebuilt kit hardware

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

rbmgf7

Sourcing front drum rebuilt kit hardware

Post by rbmgf7 »

I just picked up a '70 F100 LWB RWD "fresh off the farm". Actually, the guy I purchased the truck from bought it from his neighbors estate auction where it sat in a field for a couple decades. The man I purchased it from got the truck running (runs real well) but brakes were seized.

I got the truck home and started to rebuild the brakes but when I removed the drums, there wasn't any hardware! Literally the drum, cylinder, and that was it.

Now I'm putting it back together but I'm having trouble locating the hardware pieces, like the adjuster assembly and what appears to be a cable with a bracket. I can get the springs, retaining pins with springs, wheel cylinder with links (Carlson #H7040), but I'm missing the rest.

Rear doesn't seem to be a problem. I already have all of that on hand.

Any help? Thanks
rbmgf7

Re: Sourcing front drum rebuilt kit hardware

Post by rbmgf7 »

So correct me if I'm wrong.

After I stared at the brake diagram from what appears to be from the service manual, rear "brake adjuster parts" are interchangeable to the front?
rbmgf7

Post by rbmgf7 »

I went ahead and installed the front using the rear's adjuster kit. It fits. If this is old news, I apologize.

For some reason whenever I went to the auto parts store to look for a front adjuster kit, they couldn't locate one. I finally looked up their inventory on their website and Autozone gave me a match.

I was missing the top retaining "washer" so I used two half inch washers intead. The ID fits perfectly over the "shoe pivot stem" and using two washers shims the assembly nicely.
mulletmobile

Post by mulletmobile »

Been away for a bit, but RockAuto.com has it all. Not sure of your specs exactly, but they have all in one kits with all the springs, adjusters, cables, pins etc in them. At least for mine, I believe both kits (front and rear) were the same and $19/set. The key for it is in the star adjusters. They are specific side to side. If you put them in wrong they will loosen instead of tighten.
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
rbmgf7

Post by rbmgf7 »

I just ordered the rest from LMC.

The only 2 things I couldn't find either on LMC or at an auto parts store were the parking brakes springs (the rectangular spring) for the rear and I guess what they call it the "shoe anchor". Basically the washer that retains the shoes on the pivot at the top of the drum.

I found some on Amazon.

Springs are Raybestos H1342

Shoe anchors are Doroman 13896. I'm sure this is available at an auto store but no one had reference. The box says fits GM vehicles but it fits perfectly on the Ford.

Otherwise, adjuster and spring kits are interchangeable from rear to front and visa versa.