Brake mashup 1970 f100

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

cliffhaas

Brake mashup 1970 f100

Post by cliffhaas »

Hello all. I need advise. I would like to keep my ibeam suspension and convert to front discs. I know there are many threads on this and available kits and approaches. My one glitch is that I need to have a 5X4.5 bolt pattern. Can anyone suggest an approach to this that is known to work? I thought perhaps a rotor with the correct lug pattern that would also mount to the stock spindle but I have no idea what model would allow this.
There is a lot of grerat work out done by the folks on this forum and I am hoping someone knows how to get this done.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Brake mashup 1970 f100

Post by sargentrs »

IDK for sure, I've never tried and don't know anyone who has, but checking the part catalog on Rockauto.com yields some interesting info. I chose a '74 F100 with front disks and looked at wheel bearings and front hub/rotor assemblies. Clicking on the manufacturer part number brings up an interchange window. Then went to a couple of those and checked the same parts. Not enough dimensional info on the hubs to tell for sure but a '75-'80 Granada uses the same wheel bearings as a '74 F100 and has a 5x4.5" bolt circle with 1/2" wheel studs. The overall diameter of either rotor is really close too. The only wild card, IMHO, is the depth of the hub compared to the length of the spindle. I'd bet the Granada hubs would fit the truck spindles. Be worth spending the $30 to get one and if it doesn't work send it back for credit.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
BrockGrimes

Post by BrockGrimes »

You can do a disc swap from:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/fr ... rd-trucks/

You can get the front rotors redrilled.

I considered it but a crown vic swap is a better option, better suspension, brakes, and 5x4.5.
If it's not broke, MOD IT!

1972 F100 short wheel base, 302, C6, 9"
cliffhaas

Post by cliffhaas »

Thanks All!!I appreciate the information.