Chassis Swap (1972 onto a 2002 Chassis)

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

wndsofchng06
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Chassis Swap (1972 onto a 2002 Chassis)

Post by wndsofchng06 »

Hows the frame swap going?
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

unfortunately it's not, some health issues and a lot of other projects have pushed it to the back burner for now. I hope to finish up some other things and get back on it if the "honey do list" doesn't get any longer..... :cry:
"FoPar" because I love Fords and Mopars so just call me FoPar... :D
wndsofchng06
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by wndsofchng06 »

Sorry to hear..... Hope you get back on track soon!
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

FoPAR wrote:So after heating and beating one of my spare bumpers back into shape and almost straight again. I cut off one end of the bumper and matched it up to the stone deflector, marked off the end of the deflector to match the bumper and then cut it. I did this to both ends and that brought the ends of the bumper in about 2-1/4" I then chopped off the extra off of the middle section and welded the bumper back together and started tacking it to the deflector.

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

So this is what I have so far. I have more metal work to do to make it all smooth and fit together right, but you can start to see the idea coming together. I will body work it and primer it to see how it turns out before I decide if I'm going to use it or stay with a more stock look.
I am really mixed on the bumper treatment. Created all kinds of questions. Are you planning on painting it body color since you have it welded to the stone guard? What are the plans for the body line now created by the bumper? Continuing through to the front of the wheel opening in the fender perhaps? I am wanting to narrow mine but had not thought about going into the sheet metal of the truck.
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

Yeah, all the same questions I had for myself when I started. The plan is to paint it body color with all of the body work to get it to look right, I think that will be the best look for it. As for the body line in the bumper/into the fender wasn't sure yet. I need to tack in a small section of metal to join the end of the bumper to the stone guard and shape it to blend them together. The thought was to have the patched in section start a few inches on the bumper and then slowly change to match the stone guard. The stone guard is a little wider than the bumper now so the patch panel will taper out to blend the two parts. So taking the bumper line into the fender I think it would really pull in the bottom of the fender more then I would want it to be but we will have to see how it comes together.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

FoPAR wrote:Yeah, all the same questions I had for myself when I started. The plan is to paint it body color with all of the body work to get it to look right, I think that will be the best look for it. As for the body line in the bumper/into the fender wasn't sure yet. I need to tack in a small section of metal to join the end of the bumper to the stone guard and shape it to blend them together. The thought was to have the patched in section start a few inches on the bumper and then slowly change to match the stone guard. The stone guard is a little wider than the bumper now so the patch panel will taper out to blend the two parts. So taking the bumper line into the fender I think it would really pull in the bottom of the fender more then I would want it to be but we will have to see how it comes together.
I am assuming the peak portion of the bumper is flush with the fender since you say it would require bringing the fender in at the bottom. I couldn't tell if the bumper still stuck out from the fender. My thought was to add to the fender to blend the peak into the fender if so. Does it look as good in reality as it did in your mind? :? My ideas always look good in my head & then when you get the voices telling you "go for it" I end up committed. :D It should look really good when painted.
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

Does it look as good in reality as it did in your mind? :? My ideas always look good in my head & then when you get the voices telling you "go for it" I end up committed. :D It should look really good when painted.
For the most part yes, still have a long way to go to make it all smooth and flush mount but overall it's how I pictured it.
moon.dog62

Post by moon.dog62 »

Just read the whole thread that is awesome. Any updates ?
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

Sorry no, been real busy on a baja bug build for a friend. His wife has cancer so he couldn't work on it any more. He asked if I could finish it but there is a ton of work to complete it so the truck has been put on hold until the baja is out of my shop.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

How is the project coming along? Any new updates? I see over on Ford Truck Enthusiast that V8TV is doing a 1969 body on a 2002 Lightning Frame and entire drive train. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13427 ... truck.html
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
1968-f250

Post by 1968-f250 »

Just found this thread. Awesome project, and hope to see more!!! :thup:
-Ray
1964 F100 Short box
1968 F250
1972 F100 4x4
1957 Ford Fairlane 500 convertible (x2)
1979 Ford Bronco (x2)
1956 Ford Thunderbird
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools -Red Green
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

How is the project coming along? Any new updates? I see over on Ford Truck Enthusiast that V8TV is doing a 1969 body on a 2002 Lightning Frame and entire drive train. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13427 ... truck.html
Thanks for the link. That is exactly what I would do if I had the money to pick up a good running Lighting. It will be cool to see a shops take on the same build.

:thup:
Just found this thread. Awesome project, and hope to see more!!! :thup:
Thanks! so do I.... oh your talking to me.... dang yeah I know just to many other jobs to do and not enough time.
1968-f250

Post by 1968-f250 »

Thanks! so do I.... oh your talking to me.... dang yeah I know just to many other jobs to do and not enough time.
:lol:

I know the feeling, my truck has also been at a standstill for awhile :cry:
-Ray
1964 F100 Short box
1968 F250
1972 F100 4x4
1957 Ford Fairlane 500 convertible (x2)
1979 Ford Bronco (x2)
1956 Ford Thunderbird
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools -Red Green
Mikeincool

Post by Mikeincool »

Great project! I have a '67 project SWB with a '67 SWB parts truck. I wish I had your metal skills. I had several ideas that you have brought to life. Cutting the bed and frame, not to mention the chassis swap. I love your parts truck/ daily driver. I wished either one of my trucks were in that good of shape. Good luck on finishing your truck. Have you decided on a paint color?
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

Great project! I have a '67 project SWB with a '67 SWB parts truck.
Very cool, wish I could have started with a SWB ....you still have a spare good short bed????
I wish I had your metal skills. I had several ideas that you have brought to life. Cutting the bed and frame, not to mention the chassis swap.
biggest thing I found with the skills or acquiring them was getting over the fear of failure. ( oh and a cheep junky old toyota pickup to practice on.....lol)
I love your parts truck/ daily driver.
Thanks so do I!!! the guys at work always poke fun saying I spend to much time working on it and fixing it up to ever bring myself to part it out.... I think they might be right.
Good luck on finishing your truck. Have you decided on a paint color?
Thanks I'll need it along with a few more thousand $$$ lol as for a color I think I'm going to go with the same colors again. I really like the 2 tone white and teal.