FE intake - location/routing of vacuum/coolant hoses

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

mad2smile

FE intake - location/routing of vacuum/coolant hoses

Post by mad2smile »

well, i broke one of my own rules and neglected to snap a picture of my intake before i removed all of the vacuum and coolant hoses. now im putting the finishing touches on my 390 and i have no clue where all the hoses go.

is there a diagram of the hoses/lines on for an FE intake on this site? i searched the site, but couldnt come up with anything. if no diagram exists, could one of you possibly take a picture of your 360/390 intake for me?

thanks.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: FE intake - location/routing of vacuum/coolant hoses

Post by FORDification »

Vacuum lines: If you've got power brakes, there will be one from the intake manifold to the power booster. If you've got an automatic transmission, there will be one going from the intake manifold down to the transmission's vaccum modulator. And of course there's one going from the ported vacuum source on the carburetor to the distributor's vacuum advance mechanism. If you engine has the dual-port vacuum advance mechanism, the outer one connects to the carb (above the throttle plates) and the inner one connects to the manifold.

Also check the following link:
http://www.fordification.com/tsb/viewto ... =360&p=366

As for the coolant lines, there were several different setups...which depends on whether or not your truck had the under-carb plate which the coolant ran through. If not, you have nothing to be concerned with. If so, then it'll look like this:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
mad2smile

Post by mad2smile »

thanks.

i'm pretty sure i can figure out the vacuum situation now. what about coolant? there are no coolant connections on the carb, but on the thermostat housing, there's a fitting with 3 small coolant lines coming off of it. any ideas?
1976 Ford F-150 Supercab 4x2 w/390FE engine C6 - 76,000 miles
1995 Taurus SHO 3.0L Yamaha V6 MTX w/Quaife LSD - 75,000 miles
2002 Dodge Neon R/T 2.0L I4 MTX - 91,000 miles
1993 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L Cummins 6x4 Flatbed MTX- 100,000 miles *SOLD*
mad2smile

Post by mad2smile »

here's how i set it up:

will this work okay, or do i need to make some changes?
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

Image[/quote]
The heater hoses in this photo is wrong. The coolant line going through the carb spacer should not be used as the main heater hose but as an addition to it. There should be a T out of the manifold going to the heater core and another T in the return line going to the water pump. I have attached some photo's I took today of my 68.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
mad2smile

Post by mad2smile »

btw, the connector on the thermostat housing turned out not to be a coolant distribution point. its either a vacuum heater or a heat-actuated vacuum valve (not sure which). i was told that it is most likely a "ported vacuum switch". not sure if that changes anything with my setup or not.

also, thanks for the additional pics. your vacuum setup seems to be alot simpler than mine. of course, it appears that you dont have EGR, but even so, you still have several fewer vacuum lines than i do. i kinda wish my truck was a '60s F-series instead of a '70s truck....
mad2smile

Post by mad2smile »

does my drawing look like it will work properly? i had the truck running for about 5-10 seconds today, but obviously that isnt enough time to make sure everything is as it should be.
Shoddymill

Post by Shoddymill »

Thanks for this post. It appears the heater hoses are screwed up on my 72 hiboy. Have had a few problems since I purchased it last fall; the heater constantly blows heat and it starts really hard when the truck is hot. The weird thing is that after it sits for a few hours it starts immediately but if you shut it off and try to start it five minutes later you have to crank it over for about 30 seconds and pump the heck out of the pedal. Anyways, after looking at the schematic I found that the hose coming out of the back of the carb spacer is routed back to the front of the engine and it has a kink in it from the sharp bend. Does the coolant somehow cool the carb to prevent vapor lock? I'm planning to replace the hoses and relocate the tee back near the firewall like the schematic shows. Any other ideas? It is a stock 72 f250 hi boy with manual trans, Armstrong steering and a 360 with 16k miles.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

Shoddymill wrote:Thanks for this post. It appears the heater hoses are screwed up on my 72 hiboy. Have had a few problems since I purchased it last fall; the heater constantly blows heat and it starts really hard when the truck is hot. The weird thing is that after it sits for a few hours it starts immediately but if you shut it off and try to start it five minutes later you have to crank it over for about 30 seconds and pump the heck out of the pedal. Anyways, after looking at the schematic I found that the hose coming out of the back of the carb spacer is routed back to the front of the engine and it has a kink in it from the sharp bend. Does the coolant somehow cool the carb to prevent vapor lock? I'm planning to replace the hoses and relocate the tee back near the firewall like the schematic shows. Any other ideas? It is a stock 72 f250 hi boy with manual trans, Armstrong steering and a 360 with 16k miles.
Circulating coolant through the carb spacer is intended to prevent the carburetor from icing during cold weather and, to a degree, to reduce the amount of heat transfer to the carb when in hot weather. However, we all know the latter is more common than the former.

I think the best way to reduce vapor lock is to evacuate hot air out of the engine compartment, a phenolic carb spacer, and an insulated fuel line from the pump.

Your hard start problem is likely a leaky carb... namely a accelerator pump diaphram. It's probably draining the bowls and slowly flooding the engine. Only after the leaked fuel has evaporated will it start. That's my theory.

On the heater issue, your rig should have a shut-off valve. It's visible in the top pic.. middle left. It's also visible in the other pics. Check that it still has its gate valve (couldda corroded away) or the cable controller is disconnected or missing altogether.

Good luck.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
Shoddymill

Post by Shoddymill »

Thanks - I hadn't thought about the carburetor leaking down, I will look around for a rebuilt. It does still have the gate valve and I have checked that the cable still works when you slide the control in the cab from cold to hot but I didn't check to see if the gate was still in good shape.

Thanks again!
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

Before plunking down for a rebuilt carb, I highly recommend undertaking the rebuild yourself.... especially if you're a long-term owner of any vintage vehicle. The more you can do, the more you can save in the long run.
Shoddymill

Post by Shoddymill »

Good point - I will see if I can fit the carb rebuild into my schedule and let you know how it comes out.

Dennis