1979 tilt steering column diagram

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

F100 Dad

1979 tilt steering column diagram

Post by F100 Dad »

Does anyone have an exploded view/assembly diagram for a 1979 column-shifted automatic tilt steering column for Ford F Series? Something with a bill of materials and part numbers would be extra helpful.

I'm installing a 1979 tilt column in my 1970 F100 2WD.
- 1970 Sport Custom long bed, 360 C6 2WD -
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1979 tilt steering column diagram

Post by sargentrs »

Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
F100 Dad

Post by F100 Dad »

Yes, I did see that. It is what started me on this "adventure" :)

I picked up a 79 tilt column but I think it has a missing part and is going to need a few repair parts.
DCrusher

Post by DCrusher »

Okay I'm going to ask a stupid question what is missing what is it doing to make you think it is missing a part? I can start going thur it if you can tell me what it's doing.
F100 Dad wrote:Yes, I did see that. It is what started me on this "adventure" :)

I picked up a 79 tilt column but I think it has a missing part and is going to need a few repair parts.
http://www.hottottyscreations.com

55 F-100
57 Oval VW
68 F-100 3" Dropped Axles & Rear Hanger Flip
88 Dodge Ramcharger
97 F-150 Extended Cab 4" 6" Slammed
F100 Dad

Post by F100 Dad »

Thanks!

It is missing the "pivot bolt" (I don't know it's actual name) that goes in the hole in the middle of this picture. In the picture the upper/wheel portion is out of alignment with the hole due to the spring inside.

The shift selector pivot is badly worn also. Depending on the availability and price of a new shift collar (automatic) I was going to replace it or drill the shift selector lever oversize and install a larger roll pin.

I could also use a new grommet that goes between the shift selector arm and the shift collar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DCrusher

Post by DCrusher »

Okay now I see. Well it looks like your in luck LMC has all the parts you need to rebuild and replace the missing and broken parts. Page 49 Good luck Did you pull this out of the junkyard or was it already in the truck?

F100 Dad wrote:Thanks!

It is missing the "pivot bolt" (I don't know it's actual name) that goes in the hole in the middle of this picture. In the picture the upper/wheel portion is out of alignment with the hole due to the spring inside.

The shift selector pivot is badly worn also. Depending on the availability and price of a new shift collar (automatic) I was going to replace it or drill the shift selector lever oversize and install a larger roll pin.

I could also use a new grommet that goes between the shift selector arm and the shift collar.

55 F-100
57 Oval VW
88 Dodge Ramcharger
F100 Dad

Post by F100 Dad »

Thanks a bunch, that's exactly what I was looking for. I have their 67-72 catalog and even one for my 1972 Suburban and I didn't even think to look online at the 73-79 catalog.

Ouch! $30 for that pivot pin! That's as much as the shift collar. I wonder if it is anything more than a headless bolt, like a set screw? Anyone have a picture of one?

My daughter's 1970 truck came with a really bad non-tilt column with a welded-on homemade shift lever. I got the '79 tilt column by chance from a Craigslist ad for some other parts. They guy asked me if there was anything else I was looking for and I told him I needed a steering column. He said he didn't have any for a bump side but he did have one for a dent, oh, and it was tilt. $100 and it was mine.
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

The roll pin should be available at your local hardware store. For $30 you should be able to buy 5 or 6 or more.
DCrusher

Post by DCrusher »

Okay I see what your talking about. If we could just find someone that has one apart. K let's look at it what holds the pivot pin in. If you align the holes does the inside one have threads in it or like you said there might be a set screw something has to hold the pin in.

F100 Dad wrote:Thanks a bunch, that's exactly what I was looking for. I have their 67-72 catalog and even one for my 1972 Suburban and I didn't even think to look online at the 73-79 catalog.

Ouch! $30 for that pivot pin! That's as much as the shift collar. I wonder if it is anything more than a headless bolt, like a set screw? Anyone have a picture of one?

My daughter's 1970 truck came with a really bad non-tilt column with a welded-on homemade shift lever. I got the '79 tilt column by chance from a Craigslist ad for some other parts. They guy asked me if there was anything else I was looking for and I told him I needed a steering column. He said he didn't have any for a bump side but he did have one for a dent, oh, and it was tilt. $100 and it was mine.

55 F-100
57 Oval VW
88 Dodge Ramcharger
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

The pin has a "c" cross section. When installed fiction and expansion of the spring steel hold the pin in place. Sometimes they are difficult to remove. Redrilling hole and getting next size pin may be an option if hole is wallowed out.