Exhaust manifold hardware for a '68 w/390 ?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Senorpablo

Exhaust manifold hardware for a '68 w/390 ?

Post by Senorpablo »

I'm fixing an exhaust leak and I'd like to replace the rusty manifold hardware while I'm at it. I'd like to maintain the stock heatshield but it doesn't have to be concours correct. At the same time, I'm not interested in a fancy 12-point ARP set.

Does anyone know of a kit, or what lengths the bolts should be? I believe there are two studs on the passenger side for the pre-heat tube.

Truck is in the shop, so I can't check it out myself.

Thanks!
Senorpablo

Re: Exhaust manifold hardware for a '68 w/390 ?

Post by Senorpablo »

So, I'll answer my own question know that I have the information:

The original hardware seems to be:

qty 14x) bolts 3/8-16 x 1.25"
qty 2x) hex collar studs 1.25" x 3/8-16 x .6" -- for mounting the air intake pre-heat shield
Ford 390 exhaust manifold bolts.JPG
The original hardware was ramp-lok bolts which have a special anti-slip design with integral washer.

Interestingly, the Ramp-lok bolts--and many other original style bolts for our trucks and other classics--are available from:

AMK Products

Bolts:
Kit# F-537
http://www.amkproducts.com/Ford_Fastener_Kits.asp

Studs:
B-12474 - correct style but needs to be cut to length.
http://www.amkproducts.com/bulk2.asp?co ... Hex+Collar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Corkwheats

Post by Corkwheats »

Thanks for posting that! I have an exhaust leak, as well, on my 71 Truck w/360. I was wondering where to get the right kind of bolts. Great find on that web site - I've bookmarked it, and will plan on getting my new bolts from them.

For the gasket, I bought the Fel Pro gasket w/heat shield.

This is the next big thing I have to do on this truck - it will be a challenge, but I think it's going to work out great. Good luck to you, too.

Bob
71 Ranger XLT LB 2WD
Tilt Steering, West Coast Mirrors
390, 9.5-1 C.R., Holley 600, D2 Heads, C-6
Custom Grind Oregon Cam
Flotech Headers, 2.5" Duals w/H-Pipe
Senorpablo

Post by Senorpablo »

Corkwheats wrote:Thanks for posting that! I have an exhaust leak, as well, on my 71 Truck w/360. I was wondering where to get the right kind of bolts. Great find on that web site - I've bookmarked it, and will plan on getting my new bolts from them.

For the gasket, I bought the Fel Pro gasket w/heat shield.

This is the next big thing I have to do on this truck - it will be a challenge, but I think it's going to work out great. Good luck to you, too.

Bob
Good luck with your leak.

Hopefully your's isn't as involved as mine was. On my truck, both the mating surfaces on the manifold and heads had some deep rust pitting. On top of that, all the surfaces had a C-shaped arc to them. Ended up having the heads pulled, machined and refurbished. On the bright side, I have hardened exhaust seats now, new guides, seals, one new valve, etc. so the heads should be in good shape.

Sure is nice to have the leak fixed finally.