Edelbrock Carb Connections

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

68FORDJBM
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Edelbrock Carb Connections

Post by 68FORDJBM »

Just finishing up my hooking up all the parts on my new rebuilt 360 and I have a few questions:

Where do the vacuum lines go on the new carb. I have a dual advance and it use to be hooked up to a double barrel carb. Where do all the vac lines hook up on the new 4 barrel Edelbrock performer series 1406 carb.

What is the part called and Part number for the piece that comes out of the rear of the manifold just behind the carb on the passenger side. That is where one of the vac lines went

How do you connect the gas pedal linkage to the throttle linkage on the new carb:

Does anyone have a nice pic that might help me finish the job. Thanks
72BahamaBlue
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Edelbrock Carb Connections

Post by 72BahamaBlue »

For the carb. linkage, this might work.
http://www.holley.com/20-2.asp

Here's what my '72/360FE had on the intake manifold behind the carb. Steel fitting on the right went to the brake booster, small port opposite to the trans. vacuum line.
You might try the Lynnwood Pick 'n Pull for the fittings, they always seem to have a few FE powered trucks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The Holley throttle ball assortment is what I used to hook mine up, albeit to a Holley.

Do you need to retain the vac retard for emission purposes? If not I would skip it personally.

It would be helpful to have an overview showing what (if anything) has been eliminated. Are you using any TVS or other emission related items or is it just straight pre-emission style performance build?

I've found Mansfield Mustangs diagrams helpful (parts too).

http://mansfieldmustang.com/EnginePCV.html

Page 2 of this PDF gives an overview of the available connections on the E-Brock.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/i ... l-1406.pdf
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
68FORDJBM
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 68FORDJBM »

My truck is exempt from emissions so if I can just plug the manifold hole then that would work for me. What vac lines are for emissions and what need to be hooked up for timing? There are 3 vac lines in the frot of my new carb and I have two vac lines coming from the vac advance on the distributer.

I wish I knoew what all this stuff was for?

What about valve covers - can I just plug those too?

It's quite the scavenger hunt trying make the last of the connections:)
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Power Brakes, Automatic?
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
68FORDJBM
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 68FORDJBM »

Automatic but no power brakes. I guess I need to hook up the auto trans mission vac.

Thanks 72BahamaBlue for the pic. I had something similar to this. My engine rebuild guy might have it at his shop otherwise I'll be visiting the lynnwood pick n pull
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Follow the connections in the linked instruction manual (or the printed version if you have it).

Run the vacuum advance hose to the nipple marked manifold vac on the front of the carb. (The vac should be the one on farthest away from the distributor). Leave the nipple on the distributor for vac retard unhooked. Cap the ported vac nipple on the front of the Carb.

Run the large port labeled "PCV" on the front of the carb to the PCV valve, put a vented cap in the other valve cover.

Hook transmission modulator to the port on the back of the carb labeled "power brake". Plug the hole in the manifold with an NPT plug. (you could reverse and use the manifold port and plug the carb port too)

Plug/cap any other unused ports. Although I've never had a problem with it, I've been told capping the retard port on the distributor can hinder vac advance, so just take a short piece of hose and make a "J" pointed down to keep stuff out of it.

Need to figure a way to hook up the kick down, sure E-Brock probably has a kit for that.

That should do it?

Edit, oh one other thing. I would try to get a straighter pull on the throttle return spring.

Edit 2, Ahh I see that is part of the E-Brock Ford kick down, I would still try to get a straighter pull and I don't think I would rely on that as my only throttle return.
Robert

68FORDJBM
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 68FORDJBM »

Thank you for the detailed description. I think I got it!

Why doesn't the Dist vac need to be hooked up. What is it's fucnction. Does it hurt to be hooked up to the remaining port in the front of the carb.

I've already plugged the power brake port so I will need to find an NPT fitting for the intake mainifold/auto transmission hook up. I was told by a guy at Edelbrock that I should be able to find the fitting at any hardware store? Hope he is right.

I should be able to straighten up the kick down lever return spring on the front and will hook up a return spring for the throttle when I get there - I just now identified the hardware i need for the throttle linkage. I already have the kickdown lever hooked up except for the c-clip

Thanks again
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

68FORDJBM wrote:...
Why doesn't the Dist vac need to be hooked up. What is it's fucnction. Does it hurt to be hooked up to the remaining port in the front of the carb.
Your distributor appears to be an emission distributor, it has Vacuum Advance and Vacuum Retard. Vac retard is an emission "feature". I would not hook it up and I would have to research how to correctly hook it up if I was. :lol: The hose with the white tape on it in your picture appears to be the advance. It is easy enough to check when you get it running. BTW set the timing with the hose off and plugged. Then when you hook it up to manifold vac you should see the timing advance, if it retards move the hose to the other nipple on the distributor and see if it advances then. The outer one SHOULD be advance though unless there is something odd about the particular distributor.

Also there has been some debate about whether Vac Advance should be hooked to manifold or ported vac. Once you verify the advance is working, you can move it between the two ports on the front of the carb and see if it gets better economy or performance one way or the other, but manifold usually works best for me.

Ahh I see your kickdown lever in the picture now, it should go to the lever with the spring on it NO?

You should be able to get a NPT nipple at one of the box auto parts store, maybe in the "Help" section?
Robert

68FORDJBM
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 68FORDJBM »

Here is the finished product:

So I should just tuck the Vac retard down and out of the way:

[urlImage][/url]

Not 100% on how the throttle and kick down linkages hook up. I've never had the kick down lever hooked up before and it feels a bit tight how close the two levers are to each other:

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

DuckRyder wrote:Hook transmission modulator to the port on the back of the carb labeled "power brake". Plug the hole in the manifold with an NPT plug. (you could reverse and use the manifold port and plug the carb port too).
The PO had vacuum lines running everywhere, so I did my best to remove as many as possible. I ran my tranny vacuum line to the manifold, and the brake booster to the back of my Edelbrock carb. I forget which port I ran my distributor to in the front, but I plugged the other one. I'm not currently running with a PCV valve, although I should probably put one in and run it to the carb. So far, so good, although I still think I have a vacuum leak somewhere ...

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
69SCJ

Post by 69SCJ »

It's been 6 or so years so I can't remember how it hooks up, but I do know that the kick down can be connected and adjusted. I had an edelbrock on my 69 mustang with a 428/c6 combo. I'll have to do some digging to see if I can remeber how I did it.

Sidenote: If somebody else hasn't already mentioned it you should hard line from the fuel pump to as close as you can to the carb. All that flex fuel line in front of the motor is prone to wear.
68 f100, 390, 4x4, NP435, LWB, 33/12.5/15's, power steering.... work in progress!!!
68FORDJBM
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 68FORDJBM »

69SCJ wrote:It's been 6 or so years so I can't remember how it hooks up, but I do know that the kick down can be connected and adjusted. I had an edelbrock on my 69 mustang with a 428/c6 combo. I'll have to do some digging to see if I can remeber how I did it.

Sidenote: If somebody else hasn't already mentioned it you should hard line from the fuel pump to as close as you can to the carb. All that flex fuel line in front of the motor is prone to wear.
Thank you for the fuel line tip. I'll look into some solid fuel lines