Holley 4160 Automatic Choke to Manual Conversion

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

willfordtruck

Holley 4160 Automatic Choke to Manual Conversion

Post by willfordtruck »

Hi,

Anyone have some pictures of a manual choke on a Holley 4160 type 4 bbl carb? Got a Holley 45-225 conversion kit which came with marginal instructions and without any pictures. Anyone do this conversion?

Thank you,

Will
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Holley 4160 Automatic Choke to Manual Conversion

Post by flyboy2610 »

I put that same kit on a 4160 myself. You are correct in that the instructions are marginal at best. It boggles my mind to think that Holley actually paid someone to write those!
I followed the instructions as best I could make them out, and got the kit on, and everything seemed to function properly. I sold the carb about 6 weeks ago, without ever having gotten the carb and manifold installed. Here are some pics I took of the process. I don't have any notes, but you should be able to figure it out. I don't remember why I sealed the port in the first pic, but as I recall I used some JB Weld to do it. Hope this helps, and don't be such a stranger around here!
ImageImage
ImageImage
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

:? Why would you take an electric choke off and install a manual choke? :hmm:
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

BobbyFord wrote::? Why would you take an electric choke off and install a manual choke? :hmm:
I prefer the control I get with a manual choke. To each his own.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
willfordtruck

Post by willfordtruck »

Flyboy2610,

Thank you so much for the pictures! Wow, they are worth more than a "thousand words" and definitely far more instructive than the lame instructions "Hollarity" provides. BTW, I searched high and low on the web to find some info. Not much there. I suspect your post will be the go to answer for those that need this information. Well done!

Holley mentioned sealing that port. They provide one lead ball (kinda like buckshot) in the kit to tap into place. This is actually for my 1970 Bronco.

Hopefully I'll be less of a stranger in the days to come. Lot's of things vying for my time. Now gearing up to get my bump back on the road (restoration of a 1972 F-250 CS full Explorer package, two tone Wind Blue/Wimbleton White, 390/C6).

Merry Christmas,

Will

[quote="flyboy2610"]I put that same kit on a 4160 myself. You are correct in that the instructions are marginal at best. It boggles my mind to think that Holley actually paid someone to write those!
I followed the instructions as best I could make them out, and got the kit on, and everything seemed to function properly. I sold the carb about 6 weeks ago, without ever having gotten the carb and manifold installed. Here are some pics I took of the process. I don't have any notes, but you should be able to figure it out. I don't remember why I sealed the port in the first pic, but as I recall I used some JB Weld to do it. Hope this helps, and don't be such a stranger around here!
willfordtruck

Post by willfordtruck »

BobbyFord wrote::? Why would you take an electric choke off and install a manual choke? :hmm:
BobbyFord,

To answer your question I was walking in the garage, tripped over some car parts, hit my head and woke up with a compulsion to tear out the automatic/electric choke. Medication has not lessoned the impulse. The doctors believe that when I complete that swap, I may make a full recovery and prevent future therapy visits. Time will tell though. Who knows, perhaps it may be an improvement... :wink:

Cheers,

Will
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Good luck :D
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Hopefully that bump on the head won't cause you to turn your shoes around and start walking backwards, too :D
willfordtruck

Post by willfordtruck »

BobbyFord wrote:Hopefully that bump on the head won't cause you to turn your shoes around and start walking backwards, too :D
Actually, it corrected a congenital walking backwards condition I've had. :)

:fr:
michael69
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by michael69 »

BobbyFord wrote:Hopefully that bump on the head won't cause you to turn your shoes around and start walking backwards, too :D
:yt: I thought the same. To me that's about like replacing electronic ignition for points. :dk: but as said to each their own.
Michael69

'69 Ranger 'F-100 2WD SWB 351W C6 AUTO
1985 CJ 7 jeep w/35s
1967 SS Chevelle 502 4 speed
2003 Heritage softail w/110 cubic inch screamin eagle kit
68 Ford Stepside
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68 Ford Stepside »

I really like the auto choke if it is electric. The original old stove pipe choke, I can live without. That's the reason you plugged the stove pipe vacuum connection flyboy. You no longer need the vacuum to draw in heat up through stove pipe to help your choke spring heat up faster. Like i originally said, it is hard to beat a all electric auto choke. Many people continue to try & run the old choke without the stovepipe hooked up & it will never work properly without it unless you change the choke housing to 12v electric. :)
"Have A Great Ford Day"
willfordtruck

Post by willfordtruck »

My 60's Jaguar and bump both have manual choke. Work great and never let me down. Can't say the same for my 70 Bronco with the electric choke Holley carb. Perhaps the electric choke being connected to the coil has something to do with it (against Holley's instructions - how the PO wired it)...

Merry Christmas everyone!
michael69
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by michael69 »

Should be wired to the stator on back of alternator.
Michael69

'69 Ranger 'F-100 2WD SWB 351W C6 AUTO
1985 CJ 7 jeep w/35s
1967 SS Chevelle 502 4 speed
2003 Heritage softail w/110 cubic inch screamin eagle kit
ximy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ximy »

I hope to purchase an electric choke (to replace the manual) soon.
1967 f250 428
kugelbake

Post by kugelbake »

Thanks for those pictures! I could not have completed my project without them. FWIW I'm converting to a manual choke on my 390 CFM Holley 4150 because the electric choke tips off way too soon. Perhaps my 240 six doesn't warm up fast enough? But come to think of it, every electric-choke equipped carb I've ever owned opened up too quickly, leaving me stalled at the first stop sign or trying desperately to accelerate up the on-ramp with no power.

Thanks again for the photos.