Gas Monkey / Fast and Loud show

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

F100builder
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Gas Monkey / Fast and Loud show

Post by F100builder »

70shortwide wrote:if Im not mistaken, thats rwhp? meaning they had it on a chassis dyno and it put that to the rear wheels... im sure its no race truck, but id bet its more fun to drive than anybodies stock bump...

I would kind of assume it's rwhp but I'm not sure they mentioned it??? Either way, it's expected to get 20+ mpg's. Mileage and gas prices are what most of b**** about on a daily basis...especially in our bumps! Can't please everyone I guess.
Patrick

ImageImageImageImage
'56 F100; Must.II IFS, 351W bored & stroked to 395c.i. 470hp/483ft-lbs., AOD, 4-link coilover 9" w/ 3.89's
'69 F100; 390, C6, Dana 60 w/ 4.10's
'70 F100; 'new' and latest project soon to have a built 390/C6 and 3.50 gears
To see more of my F100's: http://www.cardomain.com/id/lowfat56
acmerodshop

Post by acmerodshop »

F100builder wrote:
70shortwide wrote:if Im not mistaken, thats rwhp? meaning they had it on a chassis dyno and it put that to the rear wheels... im sure its no race truck, but id bet its more fun to drive than anybodies stock bump...

I would kind of assume it's rwhp but I'm not sure they mentioned it??? Either way, it's expected to get 20+ mpg's. Mileage and gas prices are what most of b**** about on a daily basis...especially in our bumps! Can't please everyone I guess.
Yes it was on a chassis dyno at a local mustang shop, made 246 with 100% stock 93 lincoln MKVIII 4.6 and controls, not bad with zero mods except slight exhaust work, he's talking about 98 cobra electronics/intake with a blower, should be more exciting, it performs pretty well as is for a rolling brick though.And it averages 20-21 mpg , so with more up to date electronics it should do better..
michael69
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by michael69 »

No matter what everyone say's. I bet everyone on this site would love to have it. Myself included. :wink:
Michael69

'69 Ranger 'F-100 2WD SWB 351W C6 AUTO
1985 CJ 7 jeep w/35s
1967 SS Chevelle 502 4 speed
2003 Heritage softail w/110 cubic inch screamin eagle kit
Insane 1

Post by Insane 1 »

Being I'm from the area and seen Richard/Gas Monkey at shows for a while I watch the show for the entertainment value. Seen them filming at Decatur swap meet in Feb.

Hey, acemerodshop, How long did they really take to build the truck, just curious?

I seen the Lincoln episode with the guys from Mastercraft in it. Are you in any connection with those guys?
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

I'm glad that it gives the 67-72 f100 the respect it deserves.
Last edited by tybob81 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

I met Richard at Texas Showdown custom truck show in 08. All I can say is he isn't acting that way for the show he is that wild in person. I only talked to him for a few minutes before he was off mingling with some other guys.
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
JG F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JG F100 »

acmerodshop wrote: Yes it was on a chassis dyno at a local mustang shop, made 246 with 100% stock 93 lincoln MKVIII 4.6 and controls, not bad with zero mods except slight exhaust work, he's talking about 98 cobra electronics/intake with a blower, should be more exciting, it performs pretty well as is for a rolling brick though.And it averages 20-21 mpg , so with more up to date electronics it should do better..
Couple of things I noticed with the build, some of these aired out of order during the show but that is expected. The cnotch was really deep and looked weak, but then I was glad to see it was re-done a little more shallow and reinforced.

The single mono-leaf spring, I'm assuming the other leaves were removed to measure for shocks, something I should have done. I noticed a full pack during the final build.

wasnt too crazy with the shock mount crossmember, but then it took me 7 days just figure out how to make my shock mounts. :)

Curious about the other components, I saw a late model master cylinder, anything else that didnt make it on the show?

Thanks
72 F100 - SWB conversion w/05 crown vic IFS, 8.8 rear w/disc, 20s, 360FE w/overdrive
Project Page: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=37897
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

How about the shocks on the outside of the frame anybody try that?
acmerodshop

Post by acmerodshop »

JG F100 wrote:
acmerodshop wrote: Yes it was on a chassis dyno at a local mustang shop, made 246 with 100% stock 93 lincoln MKVIII 4.6 and controls, not bad with zero mods except slight exhaust work, he's talking about 98 cobra electronics/intake with a blower, should be more exciting, it performs pretty well as is for a rolling brick though.And it averages 20-21 mpg , so with more up to date electronics it should do better..
Couple of things I noticed with the build, some of these aired out of order during the show but that is expected. The cnotch was really deep and looked weak, but then I was glad to see it was re-done a little more shallow and reinforced.

The single mono-leaf spring, I'm assuming the other leaves were removed to measure for shocks, something I should have done. I noticed a full pack during the final build.

wasnt too crazy with the shock mount crossmember, but then it took me 7 days just figure out how to make my shock mounts. :)

Curious about the other components, I saw a late model master cylinder, anything else that didnt make it on the show?

Thanks
The notch was only 2 1/2" deep , it wasn't fully boxed yet in the episode ( that one was my chassis).
The upper shock mount was just a quick - get it driveable setup, works well, just not pretty.
the only other thing I can think of is the 8.8 rear is out of an 03 down F150 with redrilled axles/rotors,
F100builder
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by F100builder »

As far as the ~30k invested...keep in mind that it's parts AND labor. I've got nearly 25k in my '56, my labor is free to myself, and it's not even done yet! The Shelby wheels and tires were 3k and the paint materials alone were another 3k. Sure, a hot rod truck can be built on a budget but I'm just trying to point out that things add up fast when you're building a truck like this one.

Here's a few more shots...

Patrick

ImageImageImageImage
'56 F100; Must.II IFS, 351W bored & stroked to 395c.i. 470hp/483ft-lbs., AOD, 4-link coilover 9" w/ 3.89's
F100builder
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by F100builder »

JG F100 wrote:wow, didn't expect $50k! Guess he really worked the crowd, I was starting to worry he was going to lose money after he said how much he had in it. But damn! That is all good for the rest of us, hopefully that kind of exposure will help the market value of these 67-72 trucks. Some encouragement too for those who are in deep!

The truck looked sweet, I thought about those wheels when I was shopping around but my rearend was too narrow for them.
I agree that this is good exposure for the other '67-'72 trucks! Aaron even said that typically the '67-'72 Chevy trucks have always been the 'go to' classic truck but that the Fords are gaining. :thup:
Patrick

ImageImageImageImage
dailyf100

Post by dailyf100 »

A couple of things about the bump on the show. I know a few facts and I have some opinions.

First of all I like the truck. It came out very clean. I LOVE the color!

On the show they stated they had 3k in those wheels and tires; that is a flat out LIE. I know this because they bought those wheels from my friend. They came and got them from him where he works. They paid $600 for all four wheels with no tires. I seriously doubt they have $2400 in tires on those wheels. Maybe 1k at most and that is IF they put a good tire on them; but I would be guessing they went the cheap rout and have around $700 or less. With that being said; I would take all those #'s they are throwing out on that show with a grain of salt.

Not sure what they paid for the engine but they come relatively cheap now a days. I got a complete Mark VIII for $600 with similar mileage they claimed their motor had. CV can come really cheap as well as the rear end.

Like I said, the truck is really nice, but fabrication on the truck? What fabrication? They cut out the old front suspension and bolted in the used CV. The only welding I saw was for the strut rod to the frame aft of the BOLTED in CV, they "notched" a cross member (I would have removed and MADE a new one), and notched the rear frame. I didn't really see any other real fabrication in my opinion. They did the gas tank install as well but didn't show how they did it. But I have done that one and there is really nothing to it. Since they used the cv front cross member, the engine mounts and all should have bolted right up. Drop in engine....Bam!

They painted completely stock sheet metal and put it together. No custom body work or anything? Seems like a pretty straight forward build to me?

I would say the hardest part of that build was dissecting and wiring the truck. Been there and done that and it can be very time consuming.

Oh, and one last thing, do you think they told all the bidders the engine was USED with a GUESTIMATED 20 thousand miles on it? And the front suspention was USED? Not saying they didn't, but DID they?
michael69
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by michael69 »

dailyf100 wrote:A couple of things about the bump on the show. I know a few facts and I have some opinions.

First of all I like the truck. It came out very clean. I LOVE the color!

On the show they stated they had 3k in those wheels and tires; that is a flat out LIE. I know this because they bought those wheels from my friend. They came and got them from him where he works. They paid $600 for all four wheels with no tires. I seriously doubt they have $2400 in tires on those wheels. Maybe 1k at most and that is IF they put a good tire on them; but I would be guessing they went the cheap rout and have around $700 or less. With that being said; I would take all those #'s they are throwing out on that show with a grain of salt.

Not sure what they paid for the engine but they come relatively cheap now a days. I got a complete Mark VIII for $600 with similar mileage they claimed their motor had. CV can come really cheap as well as the rear end.

Like I said, the truck is really nice, but fabrication on the truck? What fabrication? They cut out the old front suspension and bolted in the used CV. The only welding I saw was for the strut rod to the frame aft of the BOLTED in CV, they "notched" a cross member (I would have removed and MADE a new one), and notched the rear frame. I didn't really see any other real fabrication in my opinion. They did the gas tank install as well but didn't show how they did it. But I have done that one and there is really nothing to it. Since they used the cv front cross member, the engine mounts and all should have bolted right up. Drop in engine....Bam!

They painted completely stock sheet metal and put it together. No custom body work or anything? Seems like a pretty straight forward build to me?

I would say the hardest part of that build was dissecting and wiring the truck. Been there and done that and it can be very time consuming.

Oh, and one last thing, do you think they told all the bidders the engine was USED with a GUESTIMATED 20 thousand miles on it? And the front suspention was USED? Not saying they didn't, but DID they?
If you know so much about the truck you should know the engine and cv front end came with the truck.
Michael69

'69 Ranger 'F-100 2WD SWB 351W C6 AUTO
1985 CJ 7 jeep w/35s
1967 SS Chevelle 502 4 speed
2003 Heritage softail w/110 cubic inch screamin eagle kit
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

I really wish some here wouldn't be so negative, but I guess it's second nature for some to rip on what they see on TV.

Personally, I love it, I DVR'd it and I've watched it 3 times since!! It's entertainment, and a huge dose of motivation, I was watching it at 10pm, and it made me want to jump off the couch and run to the shop! I like Richard and Aaron, they made a well balanced team. Some say Richard's personality is too over the top and annoying. I say - it's a TV show, I'm entertained. Now if my brother-in-law was at Thanksgiving dinner acting like that I'd be annoyed, but that's not the case is it. He seems like a fun guy to have a few beers with! :thup:

One thing I didn't like about the show, is their "upholstery expert". Please. They spent 10 minutes talking about how the seat cover they ordered wouldn't fit, without realizing she was trying to install it UPSIDE-DOWN! At first I thought it was just to inject some drama, but nope - when the seat got delivered, sure enough - the top was on the bottom and the bottom on the top. :lol: That would be the last time I used that "expert".

Overall, excellent show, very happy for some regular, non-celebrity car guys to get a little spotlight. And Acmerodshop, if you are associated with them, please pass on our cudos, and tell them the online bump-side community is always here to help. (they seem to be fellow fans of these trucks)

This one episode has got me back to cruising CL for the swb I've planned for years, and I don't even have my first one finished yet!! :lol: But that's the way this hobby works, right? :thup:
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

My thoughts exactly Tyler. I don't agree with some stuff on here, but I don't rip on it. Instead I just don't post on the thread. This site used to be real supportive, but just like the other sites it's a rip fest and peeing match most of the time. Still all in all it is the best site I'm on.