72 F100 frame swap to a 97 Crown vic

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

toyoguru

72 F100 frame swap to a 97 Crown vic

Post by toyoguru »

After the rag joint fell completely apart leaving me not able to steer a few weeks ago..I decided to finally use the 97 p71 chassis I bought 3 years ago..So this morning I began the project, forgot about taking pics at first, but will do better as I progess hopefully..
The crown vic chassis

Starting the tear down on the F100
toyoguru

Re: 72 F100 frame swap to a 97 Crown vic

Post by toyoguru »

Used the crane on the work truck to lift the cab off the frame..I didn't realize the rear cab mounts use a nut and some other kind of way of holding together as Ive never tore a F100 a part a bit. I ended up using a sawzall to cut the rear cab bolts off..will have to pull the tank and put new rear mounts in now, but it needed them anyway..On to more pics..

toyoguru

Post by toyoguru »

The front cab mounts are almost a perfect match for the center holes on the frame mounts..A little grinding and they will be dead on..

Looks a little funny like this
And this is how the cab is setting now..mocked up the driver inside fender to get an idea of how to do the core support..I am going to be using the F100 core support, just make a crossmember for it to bolt to..I will also be using the Inline 6....I want to go with an AOD trans, but may end up keeping the 3 speed for the time being..not sure yet..

elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

This is the 2nd time I have seen this type of swap. What is the distance from the bottom of the cab at the front of the door to the ground. Kinda drastic fix for a bad rag joint :)
toyoguru

Post by toyoguru »

I will get a measurement for you the next time I work on the truck. I searched google for information on this swap before I started but I wasn't able to come up with anything. I would love to get a heads up on any issues/fixes/things to look out for as I progress if you know of any links or such.

Yeah, its a bit drastic, but I have been thinking about doing this swap for a while, but I didn't want to take it off the road. The rag joint blew a part on it givng me the excuse to start it. The steering box really needs to be replaced and I have been wanting to go with power steering and this solves all of that too. Although I had just replaced the drag link/tie rod end assembly not 2000 miles ago too, so I guess I will sell that at a discount when i get it pulled to anyone interested..

The main reason for this swap is I am planning on doing a full air ride setup, so having control arms instead of I-beams and having the rear already 4 linked puts me a head of the game suspension wise. If I didn't already have the full frame, I probably would have leaned towards the 03+ crown subframe swap if for no other reason that being a lot easier.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

I will look around for the other truck I remember. It may be over on FTE. It has been a long time since I seen it and if memory serves me correct it didn't get finished.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Just looking at the body line I see a lot less bed use in the future. Looks like the rear axle hump is going to go through the bed floor up the wheel well openings.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

From what I have read there is only 1/4" difference in wheelbase between the CV & a SWB. The bed floor will need heavily modified to accommodate the chassis. This type of swap has interested me for a bit. I seen a build on a Uni with a CV chassis then the bump that was started. Now this one. With exception of the Uni which was set down over the chassis it appears this swap does not yield a truck that sits any lower.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

So what do you really gain by using the whole CV chassis over something like Fopars 2002 truck chassis swap http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=61306 or even just dropping the CV front end under this frame and doing an axle flip in the rear?

I see a huge amount of work for very limited returns in usefullness and reliability.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
toyoguru

Post by toyoguru »

I am going to build a bed for it, with a full width tub going across where the hump in the vic frame is. This truck will be on air bags and will lay frame when I get done with it, so having the hump, coils/ 4link suspension in the rear only helps simplify things in the long run.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Ranchero50 wrote:So what do you really gain by using the whole CV chassis over something like Fopars 2002 truck chassis swap http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=61306 or even just dropping the CV front end under this frame and doing an axle flip in the rear?

I see a huge amount of work for very limited returns in usefullness and reliability.
That's what I am watching. I would imagine you can lay it on the frame with this type of swap since the chassis does sit lower than the pickup chassis. I am not interested in slamming my truck but another 2" of drop wouldn't upset me. I am also not a big fan of cutting up the bed. I like a truck to look like a truck. On the Uni I seen he cut out a portion of the step that is inside the door opening and set the body down over the chassis the height of the frame. This makes for another roughly 5" drop (well maybe not a drop but gets the body closer to the ground). I don't think you gain anything over a swap like I have done if you are setting the body on top of the chassis.
sittinlow88

Post by sittinlow88 »

I know this is an old thread...
Any updates on this truck, I have a 1999 chassis and want to do the same thing. How did the core support mounts go? Have any pics of the bed mounted?
vipex

Post by vipex »