Grinding noise from under steering wheel

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

oldreliable

Grinding noise from under steering wheel

Post by oldreliable »

Hi guys,

I have a '67 F100. When I turn the steering wheel, it makes a grinding kind of sound from just under the actual steering wheel. Having an old truck but not much mechanical knowledge, I have to ask if there is something I can grease in there and how? Is there something that needs to be lubricated at the top of the steering column?

Thanks very much.

Sincerely,

John
72BahamaBlue
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Grinding noise from under steering wheel

Post by 72BahamaBlue »

Might need to pull the steering wheel and investigate. Check out the entire steering column, noises from further down have a way of transmitting up to the steering wheel. A handy tool to use is a mechanics stethoscope. Helps amplify and pinpoint source of noise(s).
To your question, it is possible to lube the upper bearing, the steering wheel needs to first be removed.
tidybowl

Post by tidybowl »

Just under the steering wheel is a spring loaded peg that allows power (ground) to stay connected so the horn will work. If that peg has worn off to a point of exposing the spring it will scrape the metal plate on the back of the steering wheel. Look at the Tech.diagram on this web page and you'll see it. As the other guys mentioned pull the steering wheel with a puller you can buy at Auto Zone or any other parts store and start there. The horn ring pushes down and counter clock wise to expose the retainer nut for the wheel. I would have a copy of the diagram with you when you take it apart. Watch for the spring and bearing not to pop out and fall out the door, in the dirt,under the truck. If you encounter broken parts Dennis Carpenter will have them http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks.php
1970 F-250 Camper Special 390/C-4 auto 289K miles, 1992 Explorer 4x4 229K Miles, 2000F-150 4.2L V6 154K miles
oldreliable

Post by oldreliable »

Guys, thank you very much. i will give it a try this weekend. I'd like to stop that noise in the worst way. Thank you again.