4BT installations

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

4BT installations

Post by averagef250 »

Some of you that have used this site for awhile know that I enjoy playing with the little Cummins fours. It has taken a step into full time employment. I like what I do and thought I'd share some recent work with you guys.

This Landcruiser had a 2F and 4 speed. It now has a mild 4BT with some fuel system and turbo upgrades. It has a custom bar and plate intercooler that would cool a 3406, a close ratio Ford M5R2 5 speed mated to the original FJ60 t-case and over 550 lb/ft of torque among other things. Nothing was cut in the entire project. It is VERY fun to drive and gets low 20's with"heavily spirited" driving.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 4BT installations

Post by averagef250 »

I started this project Saturday. This 1999 Expedition has 110K miles and almost every available factory option. It had a 4.6 triton V8 and a 4R70 automatic with fulltime BW transfer case. I bought this for a reasonable price after Jiffy Lube neglected to put oil in the engine during an oil change.

The Expedition is getting a balanced and blueprinted P7100 15:1 compression 4BT with a conservative compound turbo system consisting of a hybrid HX35 over an HX40. I would like 400 HP, but will be happy with 350 and great driveability. The transmission is a 47RH Dodge auto with all 48RE guts, billet converter, goerend VB and pressure-loc. The transfer case is a hybrid Ford-Dodge NVG 273.

Hope to have this finished up Friday, will be driving it on a 1500 mile family vacation next week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

One more of the 4BT as it currently sits in the Expedition. I'm currently building a custom accesory mount and lower waterneck for the Ford AC compressor, 4G Ford alternator and an industrial belt tensioner. When these parts are finished I will be boring a superduty front driveline CV flange on the mill to fit the rear fixed yoke flange on the NVG273. Conveniently a superduty front driveline is the exact right length for this Expedition and uses much beefier components than the old Expedition driveline.
fireguywtc
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fireguywtc »

I love it! I may send you the highboy some day for a good oil burner upgrade. They really do look nice and almost like an original installation. About how long does it take you to complete one of these installations? I can tell it takes a lot of work and ingenuity.
Bill
1967 F-250 LWB 2WD 352 V8, 4spd manual, true duals, 122k original miles (currently being restored)
1970 F-250 4x4 highboy ranger 390 V8, 4spd
2012 F-350 PSD FX4 LWB CC lariat, white
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... hp?uid=602
"If you want to judge a person's true character, give them power."
RTG_RACING
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by RTG_RACING »

Nice clean install Looks good. Not many can do it and make it look like it was factory.
Caseys71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Caseys71 »

:thup:, You do very neat installations! The installation on the Land-cruiser looks factory, and 20 MPG to boot is nothing to complain about. You must really enjoy your work for sure, I know I'd love to be able to do some of the machining you are planning on doing for the installation on the Expedition. Can't wait to see finished pics of the Expedition, and hear how well the trip goes w/ the fresh engine :thup:.
Casey
16 years old with a 40 year old truck (well almost)
1971 F-100302, T-18 4 speed, 3:55 rear, & an Edelbrock sticker on the ashtray.
"Don't worry about what you become, just make sure that you're successful at what you do."- Mr. English
"Value what you DO have over that which you don't."- Forrestbump
"Wanting can sometimes be better than having, never stop dreaming... it's what keeps us all going."- Forrestbump
1984 Toyota 4x4: 22-R, 5-speed, 3" suspension lift, 35's and 5:29's
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening Dustin,

Your installations look absolutely superb, and are creating highly unusual and special vehicles! I hope to drive something with one of these engines in it some day.

Robroy
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

so, i have to ask, how cost efficient is it to do one of these conversions?
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
Happy_Camper
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Happy_Camper »

Very nice!
With that kind of power on tap, and the smaller footprint, it seems maintenance chores would be much easier as well.
I hope you are able to duplicate the parts you use, so that you can market adapter kits.
Good luck with this endeavor!
Scott
1972 F250 Explorer C/S, 390-2V, Dual exhaust, C6, Goose neck ball in bed
New and improved with Tilt Wheel, Intermittent Wipers, 2005 Bench seat and 5th wheel camper!...
Life is *very* good!
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

I would love to drop my Dodge 1500 off at your place for a 4bt conversion. Seems to be a popular swap for the 1/2 ton guys.

The 4bt's are fetching good coin around here. Seems the rock crawler guys are big into them as well :thup:
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

where do these engines come from? out of what?
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Thanks for the kind words gentleman.
ezernut9mm wrote:so, i have to ask, how cost efficient is it to do one of these conversions?
If a small budget is a factor there are situations where the 4BT can still be a cost efficient choice. For instance, you drive 40K yearly, need a fullsize truck/SUV and 4 wheel drive. The fuel savings will pay for the conversion in 1-5 years dependant on the extravagance of the swap.

The fuel savings alone don't typically justify the expense. A conversion is a great option for someone in the market for a new vehicle and A) Has a cosmetically good shape older vehicle that suits thier needs well OR B) Can't find a new vehicle that suits thier unique needs. To add to reason "B" a correctly executed, thought out 4BT conversion of a popular vehicle is a better investment than buying a brand new vehicle. However, there are limitations to this train of thought:
The above FJ60 is a very nice vehicle, very practical, fully optioned. It's even a desireable color. 4BT converted cruisers have shown a good resale over the past decade, this FJ60 is one of, if not the nicest example in the country. Profitts 4BT cruisers sell in the $15,000 to $25,000 range, these are NOT in the same league as the above FJ60. The opposite side of the spectrum is a conversion done to an undesireable vehicle. You will not see a resale value return on your investment if you start with a unpopular vehicle or go about the conversion in an unpopular way. I suggest to my potential customers that if resale value of the final product is a concern what they can do to gauge it's value is run a mock craigslist ad for the vehicle describing it with Cummins power and upgrades for a premium price. If there is serious interest to buy the vehicle it's likely to have a fair resale value.

Fordman, 4B Cummins engines typically come from breadvans, though they weren't usually factory installed in them. There are thousands of applications for these engines though. They are very common in all manners of offroad equipment from Snow Cats and dozers to excavators, tractors and skidsteers. They are a very popular marine engine with proven reliability, universal parts availability and weighing under 900 pounds wet they are available in power ratings direct from Cummins through 450 horsepower. These engines are popular in generators, pumps and stationary equipment of all kinds as well.
mljjones67
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by mljjones67 »

Hey Dustin I have been thinking of doing this in my wife's 02 Tahoe. But I don't have the skills to do this swap in a newer vehicle. Could you pm me a price for the conversion? It will be a daily driven vehicle to and from school, soccer practice and maybe some towing of a boat or camp trailer and sometime hauling my bump project around. I don't need a hot rod.

thanks Mike
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

averagef250 wrote:Thanks for the kind words gentleman.
ezernut9mm wrote:so, i have to ask, how cost efficient is it to do one of these conversions?
If a small budget is a factor there are situations where the 4BT can still be a cost efficient choice. For instance, you drive 40K yearly, need a fullsize truck/SUV and 4 wheel drive. The fuel savings will pay for the conversion in 1-5 years dependant on the extravagance of the swap.

The fuel savings alone don't typically justify the expense. A conversion is a great option for someone in the market for a new vehicle and A) Has a cosmetically good shape older vehicle that suits thier needs well OR B) Can't find a new vehicle that suits thier unique needs. To add to reason "B" a correctly executed, thought out 4BT conversion of a popular vehicle is a better investment than buying a brand new vehicle. However, there are limitations to this train of thought:
The above FJ60 is a very nice vehicle, very practical, fully optioned. It's even a desireable color. 4BT converted cruisers have shown a good resale over the past decade, this FJ60 is one of, if not the nicest example in the country. Profitts 4BT cruisers sell in the $15,000 to $25,000 range, these are NOT in the same league as the above FJ60. The opposite side of the spectrum is a conversion done to an undesireable vehicle. You will not see a resale value return on your investment if you start with a unpopular vehicle or go about the conversion in an unpopular way. I suggest to my potential customers that if resale value of the final product is a concern what they can do to gauge it's value is run a mock craigslist ad for the vehicle describing it with Cummins power and upgrades for a premium price. If there is serious interest to buy the vehicle it's likely to have a fair resale value.

Fordman, 4B Cummins engines typically come from breadvans, though they weren't usually factory installed in them. There are thousands of applications for these engines though. They are very common in all manners of offroad equipment from Snow Cats and dozers to excavators, tractors and skidsteers. They are a very popular marine engine with proven reliability, universal parts availability and weighing under 900 pounds wet they are available in power ratings direct from Cummins through 450 horsepower. These engines are popular in generators, pumps and stationary equipment of all kinds as well.

thanks for the reply dustin. i think that you do a very professional looking installation and i really like the idea in theory. but for the miles i drive, it would not be economical for me. that being said, i would love to have my 61 uni powered by a sweet sounding 4bt. or maybe my 08 mustang. it is my dd and would benefit more.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Lets say I wanted to 4BT my dodge truck, turn key swap. What is a ball park guesstimate on price? 5-10K?
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--