69 F250 parking brake cable

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

kevfromwales

69 F250 parking brake cable

Post by kevfromwales »

Hi guys

I've got a 1969 F250 here - it's my new baby, but it has a slight braking issue!
(it's a 131" wheelbase, with the dana 60 rear axle)
- the problem is there is no cable between the foot operated parking brake (pretty unusual over here in the uk - very cool!) - and the 2 rear cables running into the drums - I do have the small metal yoke which supports the front ends of the rear cables - just the primary cable is AWOL

I've had a look on a few sites, and a place called LMC trucks list the cable in their online catalogue (page 117 - part no. 45-3826) - but is this definately correct for my truck?

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fb/full.aspx?Page=115

- as I have seen a parts diagram somewhere on google (can't find it now!) which showed a hanbrake cable running into a sort of pivot bar with a big spring, before the rear cables??

I don't want to order the wrong cable!! - and to cap it all, even when I get the cable - the previous owner has welded a patch over the hole in the floor the cable runs through!! :?

cheers - kev
kevfromwales

Re: 69 F250 parking brake cable

Post by kevfromwales »

found the parts diagrams I was looking at earlier - they are on this site!

- now I just need to know how to tell the difference between standard rear brakes and bendix BX type

- kev
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

it doesn't show a difference for the front cable in brake size. they only show the one cable. the number you posted a link to. that is the cable. if you have nohting past the yoke except the rear cables and no little short cables and connectors you will need 2 of the 45-3900's and one of the 45-4066 springs which they dont list for your truck. i do have a spring from a 71 longbed though. but none of the other stuff (rod and keepers).
kevfromwales

Post by kevfromwales »

cheers fordman

bollocks! - looks like I'll need to order the rest of the linkage as well! - thanks for ID'ing the bits required

-kev
kevfromwales

Post by kevfromwales »

arrgghh! - more confusion - sorry about all this!

http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... rake01.jpg

^^ parts diagram 1 shows the 'missing' cable running into a pivot assembly (2A605), which attatches to the yoke which carries the 2 rear cables

BUT

http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... rake03.jpg

^^ parts diagram 3 shows the 'missing' cable running directly into the yoke 2A602 - then into the rear cables

my good friend ritchie who is helping me sort the truck out has told me that the f250 won't need the pivot assembly shown in diagram 1, as the parking brake pedal provides the effort for applying the rear brakes - what do you guys reckon? - I don't want to source all of the linkage in diagram 1 if I don't need it! - why does 1 diagram have the linkage, and not the other??

sorry for all the ridiculous questions!!
kevfromwales

Post by kevfromwales »

and yeah 2853 is the same cable in both diagrams, so as you said fordman, I'd better get that bit ordered!!

cheers! - kev
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the first diagram is probably the right one. here is a old photo i have of the secondary short cables you need the rod and hold as well as the adapters fromt he short cables to the rear cables.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevfromwales

Post by kevfromwales »

cheers fordman - the yoke that I have is totally different to that one - I'll snag it later and get some pics up on here for reference

- not going to get much done this weekend on the truck, as it's a fibreglassing workshop / beer drinking session in bristol for me!

- kev
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i'd like to see that.
kevfromwales

Post by kevfromwales »

okay fordman - here's the yoke I have - each rear cable I have has a spherical nipple, wich fits into each outer hole on the yoke

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

wow that is different. i am think ing maybe you have the front cable that has the hole in it for the spring to fit into. that is a good cable to have if you upgrade to a inframe aux petrol tank.
mr_josh

Post by mr_josh »

Since your username says that you're from Wales, I'm thinking that maybe you're actually in Wales, and that raises the question: is this truck right-hand drive? If so, it's possible that some parts like the parking brake linkage are different than a LHD truck (I don't know if the factory made any RHD trucks of this vintage... anyone care to chime in?)
Josh
---------
'72 F-100 Sport Custom 4x4
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

good point maybe the aussie's have similar parts on thier trucks.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

look what i just found in my boxes of stuff. i think this may have came off of a newer truck than ours. maybe a 73-79 truck here in the usa.
kevfromwales

Post by kevfromwales »

thanks guys - not been on here for a while, had a big swapmeet hetre, so been sorting out for that to raise some funds!
the truck is left hand drive, it came over from the usa in 1977

that ^^^ bracket looks very similar to mine indeed, and tying in with the 'later truck parts' theory, I looked under a mid 70's F350 at the swap, and the primary e brake cable ran into a stop on the cab mount, then into a similar yoke arrangement

off work tomorrow, so I'm going to try and drill the floor, and start getting this figured - especially as I have to use the truck soon to deliver a lathe!

- kev